Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jono
Frequent Visitor

importing dataframe with python throws script error

When I try to import a dataframe to Power BI using a Python script I get the following error

Details: "ADO.NET: Python script error.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "PythonScriptWrapper.PY", line 2, in <module>
import os, pandas, matplotlib.pyplot
File "C:\Users\jonow\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pandas\__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
"Missing required dependencies {0}".format(missing_dependencies))
ImportError: Missing required dependencies ['numpy']
"

This happens even when I enter no Python code, and the code runs fine in an IDE.

I am using Python with anaconda so the file Path I have specified in Power BI is C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3

Is this correct ? ? ? 

Tried everything and cant get this working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous @jono,

@Anonymous Thank you for your information. Power doesn't have the feature which can run a cmd batch file when open. As a workaround, you can install the batch as a windows service. Please refer to: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/415409/run-batch-file-as-a-windows-service.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have the same problem.  I kind of understand why.  I am also using Anaconda and I get the same error when I try to run a query:

File "C:\Users\bharat.c.ruparel\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pandas\__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
Details:
    DataSourceKind=Python
    DataSourcePath=Python
    Message=Python script error.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\bharat.c.ruparel\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\pandas\__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
    ErrorCode=-2147467259
    ExceptionType=Microsoft.PowerBI.Scripting.Python.Exceptions.PythonScr

The reason that this is happening is numpy is a dependency for pandas package and your environment must be able to find this package when it calls "import pandas".  Anaconda manages this process by "activating" the conda environment BEFORE importing anything by running the activate.bat file.  In my case it is located at:

C:\Users\bharat.c.ruparel\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\Scripts\activate.bat

This needs to be run to set up the conda environment.  I do not know how to run this batch file from within Power BI so that it can find the necessary dependencies.

does anyone know?

Hi @Anonymous @jono,

@Anonymous Thank you for your information. Power doesn't have the feature which can run a cmd batch file when open. As a workaround, you can install the batch as a windows service. Please refer to: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/415409/run-batch-file-as-a-windows-service.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I could not solve it using the service approach.  Besides, it is kind of hackish.  I ended up doing another straight Python install using the conventional windows installer and then pip installing the pandas package.  I put this intalled version of Python in the PATH environment variable.

So I have two installations of the same versions of Python 3.7.  One with Anaconda, and another by itself.  Since the standalone Python does not require activation of the Conda environment, it worked fine.

I know it is sub-optimal, but it works.  Power BI developers need to support different Pyenv and Conda environments in the future releases of Python support.

Bharat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Anonymous , this worked! I only had Anaconda as well (as I'm sure many will or Anaconda/Pycharm), so this was the only suggestion that worked for me. I can't wait to have fun with Python + PowerBI !

1) As mentioned, I had to pip install Pandas (which then automatically installs numpy because of dependencies).

2) Additionally, I had to also pip install matplotlib (even though my script did not import matplotlib).

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi jono,

This may caused by numpy module hasn't be installed when you installed anaconda. You can open CMD and type "conda list" to check all the modules included by anaconda, if numpy is not listed, type "conda install numpy" to install numpy module.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.