Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Alex_0201
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

importing calculated data from one PBI desktop file to another one

Hi. Is it possible to import calculated data from one pbix file into another file or report/dashboard?

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Alex_0201 , You can used a published power Bi file as a dataset and use it. In that case, you will only have access to the Visualization tab.

In case you create new formula's and publish the Pbix file user will get new formula after refresh

refer detailed set at :https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6155/power-bi-datasets/

@amitchandak thanks for your quick reply!

I might be missing something here.

I have this pbix file, which when I open with PBI desktop, shows me a table with calculated data I am intereseted in. 

However, when I upload it to app.powerbi, it shows nothing and returns an error that says "there is no gateway to access the data source".

So when in PBI desktop I use get Data/Power BI datasets, I see the table I need but it is missing the calculated parameters I need.

I've now tried to refresh it manually in app.powerbi twice, and uploaded it to PBI Desktop, but it is still missing the calculated data.  Or should I wait for a scheduled refresh in an hour?

Hi @Alex_0201 ,

How the calculated data/parameter looks like in your original pbix file? Could you please provide some screen shots or the related formulas if it has? It is better if you can provide us the pbix file...

It seems its data source is on-premises, then the data gateway is required when publish to Power BI Service. You can review the following documentations for full details about the gateway.

What is an on-premises data gateway?

Manage data sources

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@Alex_0201  Yes.

Refer to this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

I probably miss something here. After having used "Power BI dataset", I can see the dataset published online. But when I connect to it, there is a table with missing calculated data. This calculated data, however, can be seen if I open the pbix file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.