Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gsg121

import Sharepoint online users and site groups into power BI Desktop

Hi,

I am admin on Sharepoint online site and trying to read users/accounts and which group they belong to. so far I am able to read user info from 'User information List' table. which I believe is not really the best approach as I am having further problem when try to expand the tables. I am getting 'Permisson error' and unable to expand RoleAssignments column. 

Wondering is there any other way to get Sharepoint online users/Site Groups in Power BI i.e. Sharepoint List Url Could I use etc?

userinfolist.JPG

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Guru

3 REPLIES 3
djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Is that you, Glenn ? I may have the wrong person... sorry.

I don't have an answer for you. However, the problem that you are reporting is a common problem that Power BI users face when importing data from a URL within Sharepoint.

From memory, the issue could be:

1. Security related

2. URL related. Power BI Desktop is pretty dumb. From memory, if you copy & paste an auto generated link in Sharepoint, the URL will return what you have just shown. You need to specify the actual tennant and page within the URL. There are a few articles/threads on it. FYI, I got Power BI to read an Excel document in Sharepoint. I am assuming that it can read a List.

- Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not Glen, however the problem may be the same.

from my investigation the table User Profile List is hidden list/url, generally admins access it using http://mysite/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx and it lists only users who logged/accessed the system. so its pretty useless and will not give me details if a user never logged in!

I am thinking of doing the old way of running PowerShell script to export users/site Groups to csv file, then import csv into power BI and If I need fresh user list every day, could setup a job in scheduler over-writing csv.

PLease share if someone out there knows better way

Hi Guru,

Any update ?

Best regards,

Phils

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.