Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmaroney
Regular Visitor

impersonation

I am trying to create a Power BI web app that sits on a dummy computer that displays certain reports. I want to send the user name and password to Microsoft without user input. I have tried and tried and tried and can't get to work. Can anyone help me out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jmaroney,

>>I am trying to create a Power BI web app that sits on a dummy computer that displays certain reports.

Do you mean power bi embed?

If this is a case, you can refer to below links:

3 ways to embed Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jmaroney,

>>I am trying to create a Power BI web app that sits on a dummy computer that displays certain reports.

Do you mean power bi embed?

If this is a case, you can refer to below links:

3 ways to embed Power BI

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-shex-msft,

I have found the documention on the REST APIs and I can not find any mention of impersonation. I just need further clarification on how or why I can't do this.

Hi @jmaroney,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at below article:

Authenticate users and get an Azure AD access token for your Power BI app

Reference link:

REST API Silent Authentication (Token)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hello @v-shex-msft,

I finally found what I was looking for. The videos you suggested were not helpful, but it did lead me to a video by the same guy that helped. The Guy in a Box, I think his name is, states that users must log in, but in another video by him he shows how you can do it. So, I figured it out and pieced together enough information from multiple videos to resolve my issue.

Thank you for your quick responses and knowledge of the subject.

T. Jason Maroney

Yes, I am referring to embedded. The problem is that I am using the REST APIs and I need to impersonate a user since these computers will not have user interaction. I watch the video and the gentlemen stated that users have to log in, but he did not give the reasons why. Do you know why you can not impersonate a user using the REST APIs?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.