Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

manish2k
Regular Visitor

ignoring Line breaks within quotes while importing folder

Capture.PNG

Hello,

i'm pretty new to power bi and I''m trying to import a folder with CSV files in it . The files are comma seperated and are enclosed with double quotes . From what i have observed , some of the CSV files have line break within quotes . I am able to take care of these while importing individual files since i have an option to Ignore line breaks within quotes ( as shown in the image)

While importing these files all at once from a "Folder"i dont get such an option . Without this , there is data getting shifted to a new line in some some places midway when all the files are getting imported . Anyone have any idea to tackel this ?

Thanks

MK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

To be honest, I'm not familiair with these specific options, but I do have an idea.

I would try and import 1 file with the options as indicated, next import the files from the folder and then adjust the relevant part of the generated code with the corresponding part of the code that was first generated for 1 file.

When importing files from a folder and combining them, you get several query objects.

The object that you should adjust is the query that transforms the example file, you can find at the location similar to this screenshot:

Transform Sample query 2.png

Probably it's most convenient to apply the adjustments via the Advanced Editor.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AH_CEMVIC2023
Frequent Visitor

I found in the Transform sample file you could apply the same step, 'Ignore quoted line breaks'.  I am glad you found a solution.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

To be honest, I'm not familiair with these specific options, but I do have an idea.

I would try and import 1 file with the options as indicated, next import the files from the folder and then adjust the relevant part of the generated code with the corresponding part of the code that was first generated for 1 file.

When importing files from a folder and combining them, you get several query objects.

The object that you should adjust is the query that transforms the example file, you can find at the location similar to this screenshot:

Transform Sample query 2.png

Probably it's most convenient to apply the adjustments via the Advanced Editor.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

For anyone looking for the exact code, follow Marcel's advice and go into the "Transform Sample File.." settings.  Then go to the source and click on the gear icon and make sure to change the QuoteStyle from .None to .CSV  --> "QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.Csv"

This is awesome ! Just how i wanted to work !! Thanks a lot 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.