Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcamilo1985
Helper III
Helper III

hubspot modeling

Good Night Experts

I am recently working with power bi on the hubspot tool, management has asked us to do some reports. After connecting power bi to hubspot, I need to arrive at a star schema, but I still can't do it because I don't know how to de-normalize some tables, I feel that I still haven't reached the most optimal model with this database.
Someone from here can help me, any guidance will be well received.
Thanks in advance
I attach images of the official hubspot help and how I currently have my model.

model hubspot.png

model power bi.png

https://support.datawarehouse.io/hc/en-us/articles/360054107794-Datawarehouse-io-HubSpot-Connector-E...

2 REPLIES 2

You are well advised to aim for a Star Schema if possible. Power BI is built to work with that structure. You can stray from that if your modelling requires it, but it is good advice to aim for a well structured Star Schema if possible.

I suggest you step back from the existing DB design and think about your data from a business context. Ask yourself 

1. What transactional/activity data do I need to report on (fact table(s))

2. How do I want to summarise this data "who, what, when, where" (dimension tables). 

Try to focus on what you need rather than what you have got, work out a plan, then set about building it. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

" I need to arrive at a star schema"

Who says that?  It's a recommendation, not a requirement.  Power BI doesn't really care, it works on the principle of Expanded Tables.  Star schema is easier to understand for humans, and easier to maintain. But it is not a hard requirement. Graphs are the future 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.