Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to use slicer value to filter a lookup value instead of slicer value

Hello I am using tree to display hierchy but it takes the root node to show the complete tree. What I want if we filter a child node, it still show me the complete tree from the donor to the last child. Once I put a slicer filter for donor it works fine. But I want to have slicer for all names and want that name to autofilter the donor and that will display the tree.

Screenshot 2.jpgScreenshot 1.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, 

first create this calculated column:

sturlaws_2-1654121971839.png

Then create a table with the distinct ids and names, without relationship to the main table:

sturlaws_0-1654121826304.png

Then create a measure like this:

sturlaws_3-1654122075715.png

Use the new measure as a filter for the tree visual, set it to equal 1, then create a slicer with the names from DimName to produce this:

sturlaws_1-1654121885595.png

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks a lot. it did worked. I really appriciate your help for solving the issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is your problem solved?? If so, Would you mind accept the helpful replies as solutions? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirement will find the solution quickly and benefit here. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, 

first create this calculated column:

sturlaws_2-1654121971839.png

Then create a table with the distinct ids and names, without relationship to the main table:

sturlaws_0-1654121826304.png

Then create a measure like this:

sturlaws_3-1654122075715.png

Use the new measure as a filter for the tree visual, set it to equal 1, then create a slicer with the names from DimName to produce this:

sturlaws_1-1654121885595.png

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Anonymous
Not applicable

This really helpful but I was looking for some different result. on my example the parent nodes are MT01003A & MT01023B. if I select any leaf of those or the parent node, it show me that specific tree. the solution you provided it will take the branch to that specific node and eliminate any other node for that   parent. I hope I was able to explain it clearly.

Below in the picture that is one tree and what I want is, if I filter on column "Name" from that specific tree either it is a parent or any leaf, it show me the complete tree for that specific parent, all its child and branches. There will be multiple trees like this, so once I filter on column "Name", it show me the complete tree from root to all the nodes in that tree.

Screenshot 3.jpg

expand the stand-alone dimension table to include the path:

sturlaws_0-1654810087466.png

and write the measure used for filtering like this:

sturlaws_1-1654810201705.png

which gives this:

sturlaws_2-1654810299247.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks again for your response, I will try that and let you know,

question, if you check mark any from mt 5 to mt 11, will it show the same output currently shown?

yes:

sturlaws_0-1654811396377.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks a lot. it did worked. I really appriciate your help for solving the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.