Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chanleakna123
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

how to successfully use Shape Map

Hi Team , 

I have China , Thailand , Hongkong , Malaysia , I wanna use shape map to visualize these countries into the shape map. 
how to successfully use such map ? i have no idea while i tried to research multiple documents but no output and a bit hectic with the different ways to acheive it. 

Anyone can tell me how to settle this ? 

Thanks with Regards, 
Chanleakna Hang 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to do a few things.  Firstly, have a column in your data which holds the Country information you have mentioned.  Select that field in your field picker and use the Model Tab of your menu ribbon and give that field a 'Data Category' of Country.  Put this into the location area of the visual setup.

Next you need a field that is going to act as the highlighter for your shape map, usually this will be a value field such as "Revenue" or something.  Place this field into the "Colour saturation" area of the visual setup.

Lastly, in your visual set up there is an icon that looks like a paint roller, select this and you will have a grouping called 'Data colors'.  This will let you choose what your data saturation gradient is, i.e. red to green.

Many many ways to set this visual up, but the above is a common method that should hopefully get you started.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Poppettewise

Hi,

I have converted shp files into json files in order to do mapping in power bi, however the trouble I face is there are no data attributes with these shape files when putting them into map shaper.  I have dbf files, so question iss what to do next, do I need QGIS?

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to do a few things.  Firstly, have a column in your data which holds the Country information you have mentioned.  Select that field in your field picker and use the Model Tab of your menu ribbon and give that field a 'Data Category' of Country.  Put this into the location area of the visual setup.

Next you need a field that is going to act as the highlighter for your shape map, usually this will be a value field such as "Revenue" or something.  Place this field into the "Colour saturation" area of the visual setup.

Lastly, in your visual set up there is an icon that looks like a paint roller, select this and you will have a grouping called 'Data colors'.  This will let you choose what your data saturation gradient is, i.e. red to green.

Many many ways to set this visual up, but the above is a common method that should hopefully get you started.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous I want to use my Floor Plan data to show heatmap like the attached image. Is this possible using Shapemap visual. Any help on this is really appriciated. Thanks

Example Resutl I am looking for is:

Heatmap Resutl.jpg

@Anonymous Hi , Thanks , i do as per your advise and it's work . But a bit slow which i have so many country on the map 😞 

Anw, really appreciated your support 🙂

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Chanleakna123,

You can use custom maps with Shape Map as long as they are in the TopoJSON format. If your map is in another format, you can use online tools such as Map Shaper to convert your shapefiles or your GeoJSON maps into the TopoJSON format.

Take the China for example, you can get a China .shp file here, then you can convert the .shp file to TopoJSON via the Map Shaper tool as mentioned above. Add this custom map to Power BI desktop and visualize data via ShapeMap visual. You can see atatched file. 

q8.PNG

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-shape-map

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much. I have been researching this for days and you are the only person in the whole web who gave an easy and correct solution!!!!!

@v-qiuyu-msft Hi Dear, 

I'm in cambodia and i'd like to see all of the province inside Cambodia Country. and i had use your file HERE. and i download the Cambodia Country , But sadly i still need to understand more how can you have Custom Map , CHN from ? 

I'm very basic oon this one. So your guiadance is really critical for us and really appreciated all your support so far. 
 1.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.