Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Shweta
Regular Visitor

how to show time in Y axis HH:MM format using Power bi

I have a dataset with a column containing the date and time. I have changed the format to Time. I am trying to plot this on a line graph visual, however I cant seem to get it to do it correctly. The graph wont read the data as time and will only give the values as a COUNT. 

I need the graph to show the date on the X axis, the time on the Y axis and then the values will be the data in the column (arrival time).

I have tried  but can get it to work, hope you can help.

4 REPLIES 4
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

What's the data type you would like to show in Values part in a Line chart? Is it in HH:MM format? However, per my understanding only aggregated values (Count or Count Distinct) shows in Values part. And, start and end data for Y-Axis changes based on data in Values part. So, in normal cases, numeric data shown in Y-Axis.

@Vicky_Song

Sometimes, we would like to track different activity timings and in this case, Y-axis will be assign date-time OR time values. 

Is there any way of doing this?

You could convert the time field to number, or extract the hour of the day (or some other bucket) but I don't think you can display time as the y axis

Dates in power BI are just like Excel. They are a decimal number formatted as date/time. I have never done this, but I suggest you split the column into 2 parts during import, one with the date portion and one with the time portion. You can do this in the edit query pane.  Format them accordingly and then put date on X and time on y and your value item in the values. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.