Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to replace some values in one table with values from another table

I have a source table that I need to "clean up". The clean-up operation must be done entirely in Power BI. In particular, I need to correct some values in a column. The correct values are stored in another source table. For simplicity, the table to clean up is like:

Table A

ID    SomeCol

1     a

2     b

3     d

4     e

5     g

The corrected data source is like:

Table B

ID    AnotherCol

3     c

4     d

5     e

The desired transformation of table A would look like:

ID    SomeCol

1     a

2     b

3     c

4     d

5     e

I am far more experienced in Qlik Sense than I am with Power BI. So, I'm having difficulty "un-learning" Qlik Sense to "think" in terms of Power BI. In Qlik Sense, to clean up table A, I would do something like:

-load table A

-load table B as a left join (on ID) to table A, preserving SomeCol and AnotherCol ("enhance" table A with data from table B)

-create derived (calculated) table C, which is simply a copy of table A, but with a "clean-up" statement for column SomeCol, e.g.,

If(

IsNull(AnotherCol) = -1 //no "corrected" data exists for the given row, i.e., it's already correct

,SomeCol

,AnotherCol

) as SomeCol

-drop table A (use table C moving forward)

I don't know if the "Qlik" solution method would work in Power BI. How can I achieve the desired result in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

You can apply the same solution in the Power BI Desktop. 

1. Open the Query Editor;

2. Merge the two queries as one;

3. Add a custom column;

4. Delete the unwanted columns.how to replace some values in one table with values from another table.png

You can find a demo in the attachment.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution?

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

You can apply the same solution in the Power BI Desktop. 

1. Open the Query Editor;

2. Merge the two queries as one;

3. Add a custom column;

4. Delete the unwanted columns.how to replace some values in one table with values from another table.png

You can find a demo in the attachment.

Best Regards,

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale!

I have the same problem, but with a big BUT. Second table with correct values is DirectQuery, so I can't just manually merge them and kill some bad values. I have a table with data of a stores visitation for 8 stores< but 2 of them are inaccurate and should be replaced with data from calculated table (sourced from DirectQuery). So I think it can be somehow solved with Power Query M functions, but have no idea how.

Both tables are 3 columns: Date, Store Number, Visitation.

I'm almost lost any hope of solving it.

Best regards, Taras

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.