cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siddarth_mine Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

how to remove the null/blank from a slicer?

I want to remove blanks from my Slicers. Previously i had an option to remove this.  But now i cannot. Can this be acheived now?

Thanks,

Siddarth

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: how to remove the null/blank from a slicer?

Hi There,

You can use this technique. Drag your field onto the canvas and Select the Visual in which you can filter the blank value using page level filters and then change that visual to the slicer.  That's it.

This is quick and easy. 

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
Super User
Super User

@siddarth_mine You can do that by using page-level or report-level filters. Use that filters to filter out blank or null values. 

Capture.png

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi There,

You can use this technique. Drag your field onto the canvas and Select the Visual in which you can filter the blank value using page level filters and then change that visual to the slicer.  That's it.

This is quick and easy. 

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
Frequent Visitor

@BhaveshPatel

Thank you.. This worked

Super User
Super User

@siddarth_mine You can do that by using page-level or report-level filters. Use that filters to filter out blank or null values. 

Capture.png

Frequent Visitor

Thanks @ankitpatira

RhysM Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Please note that filtering a visual and then changing back to a slicer doesn't work with the version of Power BI I am currently using, so this is only appropriate in some scenarios.

Super User
Super User

@RhysMno scenarios. This is out of date advice. They made changes to the slicer visual in...November I think. The switch visual types trick no longer works. You have to use the page or report level filter.

Arjan Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Filtering in the 'page level filters' does the trick.
Use the advanced filtering option "is not blank" in stead of the basic filtering, to be sure to include future changes in the data.

Arjan Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Filtering in the 'page level filters' does the trick.
Use the advanced filtering option "is not blank" in stead of the basic filtering, to be sure to include future changes in the data.

dillonfarrar Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to hide the blank values but not filter out the data? 

For example:

I have a column with binary values "Yes" or "No" but I want the slicer to just have the "yes" option showing. I do not want to filter out the NO data though. So the slicer would be selecting either ALL DATA or Data with YES in that column. I can elaborate if needed! Please help Smiley Sad