Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

siddarth_mine
Regular Visitor

how to remove the null/blank from a slicer?

I want to remove blanks from my Slicers. Previously i had an option to remove this.  But now i cannot. Can this be acheived now?

Thanks,

Siddarth

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

You can use this technique. Drag your field onto the canvas and Select the Visual in which you can filter the blank value using page level filters and then change that visual to the slicer.  That's it.

This is quick and easy. 

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@siddarth_mine You can do that by using page-level or report-level filters. Use that filters to filter out blank or null values. 

Capture.png

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Behnaz

sotoc
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've worked around this by using a table instead, using your field as the Values. You can format the table to make it look like a list and add a title or change your column name to something akin to "Choose a Category." Unfortunately the check box wouldn't be available. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5jxwkj8t3azbuy/Slicer_Example.jpg?dl=0

ctowery
Helper I
Helper I

This needs to be added back to Power BI functionality.

Report and page data needs to show the values within the BLANK record but the Slicer needs to have BLANK removed.

BLANK anywhere gives the user digesting the data a sense of doubt in the accuracy.

I've had to use the +0 method in almost all of my visuals in all of my Power BI projects and this is another instance where it's causing extra work for me.

I have did a work around to hide BLANKS from the slicers only. This might not work for dynamic slicer values, in my case the  slicer values will not change.  I had to duplicate the slicer, select all values except Blank and hide the slicer. With Edit interactions options, I have turned off everything from this slicer but the original slicer so other visuals are not impacted by removing the blank values. 

Great work around, but how horrific to have to have 2 slicers on the page for every one you need.

Come on MS, this is a huge unforced error. Please fix micky mouse stuff like this.

Kudos to you

You saved my day

This for the suggestion..this worked like a charm..Kudos!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to hide the blank values but not filter out the data? 

For example:

I have a column with binary values "Yes" or "No" but I want the slicer to just have the "yes" option showing. I do not want to filter out the NO data though. So the slicer would be selecting either ALL DATA or Data with YES in that column. I can elaborate if needed! Please help 😞 

Another way to get rid of the "(Blank)" is to:

1. Choose "Advanced filtering" from the "Page level filters"
  2. Choose "is not blank" from the "Show items when the value:" dropdown.

I second this question.

The answer is no. A slicer is a filter, so hiding something from the slicer is filtering it. If it is deselected in the slicer, by definition it is filtered out. If it isn't shown in the slicer, it can't be selected. So hiding and filtering are the same thing.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@siddarth_mine You can do that by using page-level or report-level filters. Use that filters to filter out blank or null values. 

Capture.png

Thanks @ankitpatira

Please note that filtering a visual and then changing back to a slicer doesn't work with the version of Power BI I am currently using, so this is only appropriate in some scenarios.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@RhysMno scenarios. This is out of date advice. They made changes to the slicer visual in...November I think. The switch visual types trick no longer works. You have to use the page or report level filter.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Filtering in the 'page level filters' does the trick.
Use the advanced filtering option "is not blank" in stead of the basic filtering, to be sure to include future changes in the data.

Filtering in the 'page level filters' does the trick.
Use the advanced filtering option "is not blank" in stead of the basic filtering, to be sure to include future changes in the data.

siddarth_mine
Regular Visitor

@BhaveshPatel

Thank you.. This worked

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi There,

You can use this technique. Drag your field onto the canvas and Select the Visual in which you can filter the blank value using page level filters and then change that visual to the slicer.  That's it.

This is quick and easy. 

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

NO this is not quick and easy, because I do not want to filter my page. I want to filter my slicer.

My slicer is looking at Case statements in SQL, and the visual is looking at the base column of these Case statements. So the visual will never have a null, but the slicer is looking at different columns, and will have a null.

I am doing this to break my slicer in two in order to save space.

There needs to be a way to do this

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.