Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asoni24

how to publish Powerbi report to powerbi server automatically

Hi team,

I want to publish the .pbix file in powerbi server automativally, that is i dont want to go through the Powerbi desktop and publish to powerbi server.

I have a git repository where all my reports (.pbix file) are present , i want whenever i will be commiting a file to git repo, it should be publish automatically in the powerbi server.

Is there any method available to do this Or anyone wants more info over this???

thanx in advance

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@asoni24 Consider Power BI REST Api. Here is the article to get started. You can automate number of tasks using APIs.

hi @ankitpatira

I feel my requirement can naot be fulfilled by Power BI rest api.

My requirement is to publish powerbi file into power bi server without help of powerbi desktop. I want to invoke a script that it should take a powerbi file and publish to powerbi server. i will give username and password and path to the powerbi server in the same script. Is there any way to do this??

Is the rest api help in achieving this?? If So how???

@asoni24
I misunderstood your question. I don't think it is possible currently to publish power bi files without opening it in desktop. You can submit a ticket for that under Ideas section. Using Power BI REST API you can do other tasks but not publish.

Power BI Embedded is other alternative but that lets you publish to Power BI workspace in Azure programmatically. You can check that out and see if you can go down that path.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.