Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Willgart
Helper II
Helper II

how to properly map a city in power bi desktop?

Hi,

I have A store dimension per country, state and city.

but the GIS mapping in power bi didnt work properly with the name of the cities.

how to improve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Willgart This support page explains what you are looking for. You basically want to provide hints to Bing Maps to help it figure out locations.

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/464157#BuildMaps

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PowerDAX
Resolver III
Resolver III

I have also found it more accurate to include city, state, country in the city field and state, country in the state field.

PowerDAX

powerdax.com

@Willgart This support page explains what you are looking for. You basically want to provide hints to Bing Maps to help it figure out locations.

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/464157#BuildMaps

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seth,

It looks like the link you provided directs to a page that has not been updated. Would you mind providing an updated link? Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

An update to my last post. Originally, I attempted to use hierarchies and to categorize towns as "Town/City" but neither of these things worked. The biggest thing that has helped for me with location data has been to categorize towns as "Places" and to use as much geographic data as I can (i.e. Springfield, Vermont, United States"). Hope this helps.

thanks. I'll try these recommendations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.