Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mim
Advocate V
Advocate V

how to optimize filter by a measure using disconnected table

Hi

my model has two tables that show coordinates from openstreetmap, I am using a measure to calculate the distance bewtween two coordinates see blog here https://radacad.com/dynamic-distances-in-power-bi

the report work like this, you select a point, and a distance, and the measure will filter all the points < distance, now the report works perfectly till the data is around 1 Millions, after that it becomve very slow, once I loaded the whole data around 15 millions, the measure take nearly 11 seconds ?

I attached an example, I loaded the data for turkey alone

https://app.box.com/s/86scgz5nm0ad7s8uitd84vc7k4lgtrgk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @mim ,

this is my best (at the moment) for the distance_filter measure, it's called a little different:

distance_filter tom = 
var _d = max(distance[Value])
return 
if([Kilometers] <= _d , 1 , BLANK())

As you can see, I dropped the caching for [Kilometers] as it's calculated on a row basis, the column 'amenity'[index].

My 1st attempt was useless.

Nevertheless, instead of returning the kilometers, the formula returns 1 if the condition is met, otherwise explicitly BLANK().

I use this setting for the filter on both visuals, the matrix, and the icon map:

image.png

These are the performance counters, using the performance analyzer inside Power BI Desktop:

The adjusted distance_filter tom measure in combination with the adjusted visual filter creates these performance measurements:

image.png

In contrast, the original distance_filter and not is blank visual level filter:

image.png

Using the adjusted measure and the adjusted visual level filter setting provide slight improvements.

I think it's not possible to optimize the [kilometers] measure, it is applied to each row, the index column. As the algorithm is more complex (the nature of this algorithm) the formula engine has to be used.

Wondering, how this will end.

Regards,

Tom 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @mim ,

here is the DAX for the distant filter @Anonymous already mentioned:

distance_filter = 
var _km = [Kilometers]
return
if(
    _km <= _d
    , _km
)

Regards,

Tom

Stay safe, stay healthy, and happy holidays

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

using variable make it worst from 10 seconds to 40 seconds !!!!

Hey @mim ,

can you please try again, I changed the DAX a little.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens  nope,  you can try it by yourself in the pbix file I shared it, and see the difference ?

Hey @mim ,

this is my best (at the moment) for the distance_filter measure, it's called a little different:

distance_filter tom = 
return 
if([Kilometers] <= _d , 1 , BLANK())

As you can see, I dropped the caching for [Kilometers] as it's calculated on a row basis, the column 'amenity'[index].

My 1st attempt was useless.

Nevertheless, instead of returning the kilometers, the formula returns 1 if the condition is met, otherwise explicitly BLANK().

I use this setting for the filter on both visuals, the matrix, and the icon map:

image.png

These are the performance counters, using the performance analyzer inside Power BI Desktop:

The adjusted distance_filter tom measure in combination with the adjusted visual filter creates these performance measurements:

image.png

In contrast, the original distance_filter and not is blank visual level filter:

image.png

Using the adjusted measure and the adjusted visual level filter setting provide slight improvements.

I think it's not possible to optimize the [kilometers] measure, it is applied to each row, the index column. As the algorithm is more complex (the nature of this algorithm) the formula engine has to be used.

Wondering, how this will end.

Regards,

Tom 

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

wow, perfect, it is back to 3 seconds , I can't belive a simple change made that difference

Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way... The formula for the distance is complex. Can you not simplify it a bit? Try to search the Net for simpler approximations. After all, I don't think this must be perfect to the 10th decimal digit...

Best
D
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a page with simpler approximations that would be much faster to compute, I suppose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_distance

Best
D
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, your distance_filter should use a VARiable to capture the distance and then use it in the subsequent IF.

However, to speed this calculation up to an insane speed... you'll need to create a matrix (only one part of it, say, the upper part) that will store all the distances between points. In a word, you have to precalculate the distances. You can do it easily in Power Query.

Of course, such a matrix must be unpivoted into a 3-column table:

Ref Point, To Point, Distance

Best
D

I have 15 Miilions record, If i precalculate then it become 15 Millions * 15 Millions , which is a lot 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

It does not matter it's a lot. What matters is the number of distinct values in a column. The fewer, the better. I've got tables with more than 200 millions of rows and calculations are instant.

When you calculate the table as I indicated, make sure that the distances are, for instance, in full meters, not fractions of meters. So, the distance should be an int. Even better, make it in full km's.

By the way, at the very minimum you only need (15 * 15 - 15) / 2 = 105 mln distances. That's not a lot. You can do the calculation in Power Query or you can use Python or R script for this.

Best
D

@Anonymous , check your math, if only I have 1 million records, the combination will be 1 million X 1 million = 1 trillion !!!!

and I can't divide/2 as I need one column to filter, so pre calculation is not feasible 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, I should have multiplied the units (millions) as well. But wanted to take a shortcut, which - as you can see - did not work.

Best
D
Anonymous
Not applicable

However, you can do something different. Choose a "small" representative number of reference points (a well-spaced grid) and pre-calculate the distances to all other points. Then create another table that for each point will tell you where the representative closest point is.

You can figure out the rest. If you cannot use a very precise number, use quick approximations. That's the way to conquer this problem.

Best
D
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Have you tried running Dax Studio and seeing if it can help you pinpoint the slow part of your code ?

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!