Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Salma_00
Frequent Visitor

how to multiply different columns with a dax measure

Hi,

So basically, what i want to do is multiply 3 columns within themselves the thing is for a row in column 1 it has to be multiplied with the set before the row in question for column 2 and the set of rows after the column in question for column 3, I don’t know if I explained my problem properly but basically this is what I want to do

Capture1.PNG       

for the first row

Capture2.PNG

the middle

Capture3.PNG

The last row  

For my dax measure I tried with the following command

commande&é.PNG

But it gave me this error

erreur12.PNG

For the ones that do not speak French it states that the context where I put earlier does not exist

My index column is a dax measure that I wrote to make calculation easy for me

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Salma_00,

Can you share a complete sample? You can use dummy data. 

EARLIER can't have a DAX measure as parameter. You can change it into a calculated column.

how_to_multiply_different_columns_with_a_dax_measure

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi, 

thank you for your reply

i tried to  do a calculated column but since my calculations involve other dax measures, my attempts weren't successful 

here is a sample of my data

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VrK4umDrPXhSRwI8eYh7dnfyreuw6VAU

Hi @Salma_00,

How did you do it? Your formula is fine in the Power BI. Please check it out here.

Column =
CALCULATE (
    PRODUCTX ( Tableau1, [1+R] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Tableau1' ), 'Tableau1'[Index] > EARLIER ( Tableau1[Index] ) )
)
    * CALCULATE (
        PRODUCTX ( 'Tableau1', [1+B] ),
        FILTER ( ALL ( 'Tableau1' ), 'Tableau1'[Index] < EARLIER ( Tableau1[Index] ) )
    )
    * [allocation]

how_to_multiply_different_columns_with_a_dax_measure2

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi,

it is because my 1+R and 1+B columns are dax measures and not regular column, i actually ahven't thought of using power bi to see if it will work thank you for your recommendation ... but as you can see it won't give you any result for the first and the last row ..so how can i write on a measure than can include them

Hi @Salma_00,

Solution 1: Add the "=" operator.

Column =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Tableau1' ), 'Tableau1'[Index] >= EARLIER ( Tableau1[Index] ) )
)
    * CALCULATE (
        FILTER ( ALL ( 'Tableau1' ), 'Tableau1'[Index] <= EARLIER ( Tableau1[Index] ) )
    )
    * [allocation]

Solution 2:

Column =
VAR temp =
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER ( ALL ( 'Tableau1' ), 'Tableau1'[Index] > EARLIER ( Tableau1[Index] ) )
    )
        * CALCULATE (
            FILTER ( ALL ( 'Tableau1' ), 'Tableau1'[Index] < EARLIER ( Tableau1[Index] ) )
        )
        * [allocation]
RETURN
    IF ( ISBLANK ( temp ), 0, temp )

If they are measures, we need the original data to develop a solution or a workaround.

Best Regards,

Dale

hi Dale,

Sorry to bother you again !!

but i'm kind of lost here wouldn't be the current column involved in the calculation if we ad '=' to the function

i'm  not sure if you understood what i'm trying to do here but just to make stuff a little bit clearer this is what i'm trying to calculate using a dax measuregrap.PNG

with at being the allocation column

(1+rt) the 1+R one and (1+bt) the 1+B one

these three columns are already being calculated that's why i can't do a clculated colmun cause they differ form row to row

here is a sample of my inital data with a pivot table... this is what i am currently working on (i use excel 2016 btw)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13oA-cBC0FwEwZqyhvnZWt902Xw4-Q3OD

thank you so much for your help !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.