Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nandhini07
Frequent Visitor

how to load data faster from Hyperion DB to PowerBI? Raw table contains 7M records for 2017.Urgent!

Hi All, I want to load 6M records from Hyperion db into Powerbi and it takes a very long time.
The table consists of raw data for a year and its indexed.
It takes 9 hours to load 7 hundred thousand records and would take more than a day to load 1 year data(7M records).
Is there a way to speed up the load process?TIA.

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What connector are you using?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Am using oracle database connector

Hmm, I don't have any Hyperion DB's handy to test with but that doesn't sound right. Have you checked you DB server or network connection. There are a lot of potential variables that could cause data load to be slow. I haven't heard of any particular issues with the Oracle connector. ODBC is notoriously slow. Generally, I have found the Power BI data load to be even faster than SSIS in some circumstances.

Latest book!:

Thanks for the reply. SQL Server retrieval is faster and i have tested it. But Hyperion (Oracle DB) is slow. Initally, the raw table had records for 6 years and for testing purpose, we requested the DBA to create a new table with only 2017 data along with an indexed column. Any idea on why the load is taking a long time in PowerBI? Do we have to do something with source level or PBI level? 

If you have a Pro license, I would consider opening a support ticket for this. Way too many variables to troubleshoot via a forum.

Can you post the M code of your query?

Latest book!:

I am a PBI prolicense holder. Sure, will raise a ticket for this. thanks!:)

Since you're using the Oracle database connector, I assume when you say Hyperion that you mean HFM. If you actually have your data in Hyperion Essbase, you no longer need to export the records.

We've created a full-fledged, supported Power BI to Essbase connector: https://casabasesoftware.com/introducing-the-power-bi-casabase-connector-for-oracle-essbase/

Regards,

Harry Gates

I got the below reply from one PBI user, but not sure how to test the solution. "Sounds like you haven't modelled the data from the source properly. My measures table is 6,816,773 rows and loads in about two minutes. Rewrite your queries into new views that replicate the way a star schema datawarehouse is modelled and you should see a significant increase in both processing and query time" ?? 

will it work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.