Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jos13
Helper III
Helper III

how to learn advanced DAX

Hi All,

Please suggest me a good source to learn advanced DAX. I have been creating reports in power BI for three years. I used to write simple DAX measures. The requirements I received were also simple calculations.

I am not getting any new opportunities because of lack of knowledge in DAX. I have knowledge in DAX functions but, that doesn't help me in solving real world problems.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Definitive Guide to DAX book - get the latest edition.  Read it and then read it again.  (repeat).

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Jos13 I agree with @HotChilli, Definitive Guide to DAX is just that. If you want a book based around real-world problems and solving them with DAX, I think my book DAX Cookbook is pretty good. But, I'm probably biased! 🙂

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Jos13 

In addition to what @Greg_Deckler  and @HotChilli  suggested, I would recommend you to take up DAX challenges and solve them. The Power BI community forum is a great place for it, you come across real-world challenges, you can learn from others' solutions. You get a chance to help others as well while you learn.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

4 REPLIES 4
igrandey89
Advocate II
Advocate II

Maven Analytics has some great, hands-on courses: Here's an advanced DAX course that I enjoyed: Advanced DAX for Power BI - Maven Analytics

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Jos13 

In addition to what @Greg_Deckler  and @HotChilli  suggested, I would recommend you to take up DAX challenges and solve them. The Power BI community forum is a great place for it, you come across real-world challenges, you can learn from others' solutions. You get a chance to help others as well while you learn.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Jos13 I agree with @HotChilli, Definitive Guide to DAX is just that. If you want a book based around real-world problems and solving them with DAX, I think my book DAX Cookbook is pretty good. But, I'm probably biased! 🙂

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Definitive Guide to DAX book - get the latest edition.  Read it and then read it again.  (repeat).

Good luck.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.