Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to import data model from Excel

Hi,

i have created an Excel file using merge queries to combine some table. I would like to import the data and power queries to Power BI Desktop. I used File-Import Power Query, Power Pivot. PB shows the migration is successful, but i can't find the data in data view or model view. How can I view those data in PB?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

You may try to divide your data model to some little ones and try to import the data models into Power Bi Desktop, then you can append the tables by Power Query Editor.

If this reply still couldn't help you to solve your problem, please share more details about the screenshot of your issue, the size of your Excel, the data model of your table.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rico, 

sorry for getting back late. It's not related to data loading or refresh setup, i think the problem might relate to the Data Model in Excel itself. I realize that I couldn't open the data model in Excel (got an error message about shortage of memory), that probably explains why data are not imported to PB Desktop. 

Hi @Anonymous 

You may try to divide your data model to some little ones and try to import the data models into Power Bi Desktop, then you can append the tables by Power Query Editor.

If this reply still couldn't help you to solve your problem, please share more details about the screenshot of your issue, the size of your Excel, the data model of your table.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , check are there any pending changes. It should show in the data model after save and exit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, there is no pending queries. Not sure why no tables are imported. when I click edit query in power BI, I can see all the tables, just can't find them in data view or report view. 

See screenshot below. 

import data model.PNG

Hi @Anonymous 

Here I have some advice.

1.    Please check whether you trun on the Enable load in Power Bi Editor. 

3.png

2. Or you can import your original table into Desktop and merge in Power Query Editor.

If this reply still couldn't help you solve your problem, please tell me more details about your issue.

Show me the screenshot about your dataview.

And you can provide me your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.