Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to hide the blank value in slicer but need to get assosciated data

hi all,

i have a requirement to hide the blank values checkbox from slicer/filter. but if i remove the blank value assosciated data is also filtered. so, how i can i hide the blank value checkbox from slicer?? suppose from below slicer i have blank checkbox,kaithe,Ferry,Juila .they were employees based on whom i filter the table & bar chart data.

now, if i select the empty value in filter by default(in report)  and hide the check box from  filter while deployment.

The requirement is not to show that empty check box but at the same time show the values it represents in the report..

user need to see only kaithe,ferry,julia in filter

Is it possible...pls help

thanx in advance.

emp.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous,

I don't think that it is possible to hide the blank option in slicer but meanwhile show values related to Blank option in charts. There are some workarounds for you.

1. Replace the blank value with a meaning value.
2. Split your table into two tables("Blank value" table and "other values" table), then create measure to check if a value is selected in the slicer, if selected, show related value, otherwise show values of "blank value" table.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

for anyone else coming across this thread, another option would be to have a hidden slicer which is used to filter the visible one but nothing else on the page. This will leave your visible filter with just the options that you want to be selectable, but the underlying data is still available to all other tables, charts, and cards.

So in the below image, the top left slicer would be hidden leaving the one on the right with only the three values, but the table and card below still show the full dataset.

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

for anyone else coming across this thread, another option would be to have a hidden slicer which is used to filter the visible one but nothing else on the page. This will leave your visible filter with just the options that you want to be selectable, but the underlying data is still available to all other tables, charts, and cards.

So in the below image, the top left slicer would be hidden leaving the one on the right with only the three values, but the table and card below still show the full dataset.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

Nice approach

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanx @Anonymous, that was perfect..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Thanks so much for this 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only thing is, if you change the pbix in the future you have to remember to filter out any new visual you add. Smiley Tongue

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous your answer is PURE GOLD!

Thank you 😉

quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

You simply have to go to the filter section when selecting your slicer in the Filter on the Visual element. and then select everything except the (Blank) 

It will be wiped out only from your visual not the report

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi quentin vigne,

thanx for your reply.....but if i select filter is not blank then assosciated data is filtering.

suppose i have a card visual in that i need to show total salary for all above employyes that include blank also...blank also have some value say 12908.00. so if i filter blank value from visual ....this card is effecting its value..

@Anonymous

On my side it's working.

I have a slicer with 4 values. One is 11000 files, one 6500, one 3700 219, for a grand total of 21419. When I filter the one with 11 000 files it does not filter the other visual because that a visual filter only 

If you don't understand, can you please provide a sample of your data ? 

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@quentin_vigne,

power.PNG

suppose my data is above, in report by default i need to select blank and data in table above & other bar chart shoul filter according to blank value.

if selected any one value say kaithe,it shud filter kaithe data as usual.

but when deploying the report to report server url, it need to be blank selected by default and for user who see this report in application should see the blank checkbox at all(it should be hidden ,but selected)....they should see only 3 values kaithe,juila & ferry.

can you help with it?

thanx in advance..

they can select only those 3 values...

@Anonymous,

I don't think that it is possible to hide the blank option in slicer but meanwhile show values related to Blank option in charts. There are some workarounds for you.

1. Replace the blank value with a meaning value.
2. Split your table into two tables("Blank value" table and "other values" table), then create measure to check if a value is selected in the slicer, if selected, show related value, otherwise show values of "blank value" table.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanx Lydia for the reply..

let me try..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.