Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tracyhopaulson
Resolver I
Resolver I

how to get a list of all SQL tables used in Power BI?

Hello all,

Is there a way to find out all the SQL tables that are currently used in Power BI?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tracyhopaulson ,

You can use SQL Server Profiler to view query send to sql server from Power BI to find out tables used in report.

Capture6.PNG

Create a trigger in sql server profiler and refreshing data in power bi desktop :

Capture7.PNG

If this post help, please consider accept it as the solution to help other member find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak  Not really! I have a few hundreds of Power BI reports and would like to know which SQL tables are being used for them.  The only way I know is to open every single report to get the table information, which is time consuming and not very efficient.  If you or anyone have better suggestions, please share.  Thank you in advance for your help.

It might be easier if you generate a file that has all the queries going to the server from all the refreshes and then parse out the table names from FROM part of all the queries.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Good suggestion, but how do I get this list from the refreshes?

Hi @tracyhopaulson ,

You can use SQL Server Profiler to view query send to sql server from Power BI to find out tables used in report.

Capture6.PNG

Create a trigger in sql server profiler and refreshing data in power bi desktop :

Capture7.PNG

If this post help, please consider accept it as the solution to help other member find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi Dedmon, thank you so much for the information.  I will share with our I.T. person for further assistance and let you know if we run into issues or have more questions.

I am not a DBA but assume there is a way the DBA (you?) could monitor the incoming queries to the database.  There is not an easy way to do it w/ Power BI.  I have never done it but it may be possible to extract the queries from each pbix file (they are basically zip files).

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.