Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sonam_Pillai
Helper I
Helper I

how to find duplicate numbers in power query and assign them numbers

I have a data like this in power query,

CALL NO.Sheet1.Count (OUTPUT AFTER GROUOPING AND INDEXING
ABC1
PQR1
ERT1
DEF1
ASD2
ASD2
FGH1
TGY1
POL2
POL2

However i need out put like below

CALL NO.Sheet1.Count (OUTPUT AFTER GROUOPING AND INDEXING
ABC1
PQR1
ERT1
DEF1
ASD0
ASD1
FGH1
TGY1
POL0
POL1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is a solution in codeform:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnRyVtJRMlSK1YlWCggMgrNdg0LgbBdXNzjbMdgFyDbCYLu5e8DVhLhHIsz094GrgbNjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"CALL NO." = _t, Count = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"CALL NO.", type text}, {"Count", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"CALL NO."}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}, {"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "CountMultiple",0,1) , type table}}),
    #"Expanded Partition" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Partition", {"CountMultiple"}, {"CountMultiple"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Partition", "Result", each if [Count] > 1 then [CountMultiple] else [Count]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Count", "CountMultiple"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

But I've also recorded a little screencast where you can see how this is done via the UI (and how to use the code above if that's new to you too 😉 )

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Calling in the calvary...@ImkeF

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

This is a solution in codeform:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcnRyVtJRMlSK1YlWCggMgrNdg0LgbBdXNzjbMdgFyDbCYLu5e8DVhLhHIsz094GrgbNjAQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"CALL NO." = _t, Count = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"CALL NO.", type text}, {"Count", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"CALL NO."}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}, {"Partition", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "CountMultiple",0,1) , type table}}),
    #"Expanded Partition" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Partition", {"CountMultiple"}, {"CountMultiple"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Partition", "Result", each if [Count] > 1 then [CountMultiple] else [Count]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Count", "CountMultiple"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

But I've also recorded a little screencast where you can see how this is done via the UI (and how to use the code above if that's new to you too 😉 )

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Dylan73
Frequent Visitor

@ImkeF You're a STAR!!!!

You have no idea how long I've been searching for this!

BUT....

I was following your steps but was stuck as I could not find the "Countmultiple" in the checked boxes when I'm trying to expand it from "Partition"

Note that I could see "Countmultiple" column at the bottom of the screen.

@ImkeF  and @Dylan73 - I am having the exact same problem. I don't know what is going on and the tutorial is GREAT, but I don't have "Countmultiple" as an option to include - but I confirmed I do see it in the table before expanding.

Did you figure this out or have an idea of what I could check?

Hello @alexanderc , @jp_powerbiuser , @Dylan73 ,
sorry for the late response.
It just dawned to me that the reason for the behaviour you're seeing lies in a change in the PQ engine that automatically creates a hard-coded table type definition when using the all aggregation. In there, the manually created Index-column ("CountMultiple") is not included and will therefore not be displayed for expansion.
You can solve it by deleting the code that defines the table type (incl. the comma):

image.png

EXCELLENT! Thank you so much! And it was so simple - but just proves how very little I truly understand about these formulas and how amazing you are for helping. Thank you!

I am also having this issue but can't figure out why, any ideas?

Many thanks 🙂

hi,

after +10 hours of processing this part of the code - = Table.Group(#"Expanded Table Column1", {"Primary Email"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}, {"Partition", each _, type table}}) -

the application stopped and displayed this error message: An error occurred in the ‘Transform File from all contacts msd’ query. DataFormat.Error: External table is not in the expected format.
Details: MSD contact Feb 2019.pbix

Any clue?

the dataset is ~3M rows, 40 columns.

thanks a lot

Hey 

Wow..its worked like wonder for me..

Thanks a ton for this 🙂

You are a STAR ***

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.