Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alex
Helper I
Helper I

how to (efficiently) add a measure?

I'm just coming from PowerPivot and I'm used to adding the measures at the bottom of the table.  This is nice in that the value of the measure is right there and you can change the value by using the filters available to the data table.  this is nice and quick.

In PowerBI deskop,  I create the measure, then add it to a report and then use the report filters.  This isn't as quick. (and feels like i'm turning the knobs in 3 different places places to do one things)

Am I missing something?

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

From report canvas, right-click your data set on the right, New Measure, drag and drop to report filters, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler  I'm not explaining myself very well.  

I know how to add a measure (IE, the steps you just listed).

What I'm trying to convey is that (comapred to the PowerPivot add-in in Excel) I find those steps inefficent.  

I follow your steps and then I end up with a bar graph.  (where as, in the PP, I got a number right away)

If I want to do a filter to play with the number(to verify it's correct) I have to then add filters (whereas, in PP, the default filters where already at the top of the table view)

Maybe I have to get used to it, but it still feels like a step backwards from the PP add-in.

Hmm, OK I understand what you are getting at. I guess to me it feels like the opposite in terms of efficiency. Now, I can add measures right from the report that I am creating. Previously, I had to open PowerPivot, navigate to the table, enter the value, switch back to my PowerView report, add the measure, etc. versus right-click, add measure, drag onto report. I guess I don't miss having the value because 90% of the time that I am creating a measure, the raw value is meaningless or even nonsensical without context filters provided by the visualization. If you want the number, just switch the visualization to the card visualization but if you are creating measures that are valid numbers without context filters, you may be missing the power of measures. Depends on your specific circumstance of course.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler

Using the card is a good tip.  It's still an added step (specifically for when the measure is an intermitiate step that won't make it to the final report)

RE:  the raw value is meaningless to you.  It's usually meaningless to me to unless I've filtered the data down to a small set that I can compare to something.  (Switching over to the fields view and using the filters there is pretty quick I suppose but having it always available at the top was nice)

I guess I mentally used the values of the measures to remember which was which and so not having them next to the name is a "big" mental jump and something I'll need to get used to.

Thanks,

Alex

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.