Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to display a basic line chart ?

Obviously this is a beginner question...

Here is a small set of data that I want to transcript into 3 line charts :

jmclej2_0-1675867234666.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMjYwNDJV0lEyNAESZoZAwtLMQClWByppZGABkgSpMDaCScYCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Stream1 = _t, Stream2 = _t, Stream3 = _t]),
    #"Type modifié" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", Date.Type}, {"Stream1", Int64.Type}, {"Stream2", Int64.Type}, {"Stream3", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Type modifié"

I have 2 entries a my table, with 4 columns, one for the date and one for each "stream" I want to who progress on.

So when I have saved and applied the above code, I then created 3 line charts. They are set like this :

1st chart :

- the date column on the X axis

- Stream1 column on the Y axis

2nd chart :

- Stream2 column on the Y axis

3rd chart :

- Stream3 column on the Y axis

First of all, why do Power BI "changed" the summaries of Stream1, Stream2, Stream3 to SUM ? I have set "Do not summarize" for the 3 of them. I might not understand the concept behind this summary information, where can I find info about it ?

But the issue is that my 3 charts show a flat line at 1 and when I place the mouse over the line chart, it says "Number of Stream1 1", "Number of Stream2 1", "Number of Stream3 1".

What I expect/need is :

the first chart to show a line going from 14 to 15

the second chart to show a line going from 61 to 32

the third chart to show a line going from 960 to 960

Can you tell me why I see only line at 1, and how I can achieve what I actually want to show please ?

Also, it shows me a hierarchy in the dates (year/quarter/month/day). How can I just display in my X axis the dates like it is in my table : "mercredi 25 janvier 2023" or maybe "20230125" ?

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnastasiaS
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello @Anonymous 

The summarization will automatically apply when it comes to "numeric" values (the different Stream columns being defined as numeric). If we want to change that for a specific field we can go to the "Column tools" when a field is selected and set to "don't summarize". I think this is what you did.

AnastasiaS_0-1675873721437.png

In your case, you need to put that Stream1... values on the Y axis; as it's a Y axis, it has to do an aggregation. As you previously set to "do not summarize", power bi will still try to to an aggregation, which will be by default the Count.

This is why you always have 1: it couns the number of values, for each of your date. And thus, for each date, you only have 1 value.

To achieve what you want, you'll need to go back to sum, or min/max (it depends on the case, but for your example min/max could work as well).

To remove that hiererchical part of the date, you need to just click on the "arrow" near your date, and select Date:

AnastasiaS_1-1675874124589.png

(Optional) Depending on the desired result, you may also need to change the X axis to Categorical to have that exact date shown:

AnastasiaS_2-1675874226738.png

If you want to change the format of your shown date, just go to the formatting pane:

AnastasiaS_3-1675874647373.png

You'll obtain smth like that in the end (of course this is a draft that will need to be updated)

AnastasiaS_4-1675874872056.png

Don't hesitate if smth's not clear!

Regards,

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AnastasiaS
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello @Anonymous 

The summarization will automatically apply when it comes to "numeric" values (the different Stream columns being defined as numeric). If we want to change that for a specific field we can go to the "Column tools" when a field is selected and set to "don't summarize". I think this is what you did.

AnastasiaS_0-1675873721437.png

In your case, you need to put that Stream1... values on the Y axis; as it's a Y axis, it has to do an aggregation. As you previously set to "do not summarize", power bi will still try to to an aggregation, which will be by default the Count.

This is why you always have 1: it couns the number of values, for each of your date. And thus, for each date, you only have 1 value.

To achieve what you want, you'll need to go back to sum, or min/max (it depends on the case, but for your example min/max could work as well).

To remove that hiererchical part of the date, you need to just click on the "arrow" near your date, and select Date:

AnastasiaS_1-1675874124589.png

(Optional) Depending on the desired result, you may also need to change the X axis to Categorical to have that exact date shown:

AnastasiaS_2-1675874226738.png

If you want to change the format of your shown date, just go to the formatting pane:

AnastasiaS_3-1675874647373.png

You'll obtain smth like that in the end (of course this is a draft that will need to be updated)

AnastasiaS_4-1675874872056.png

Don't hesitate if smth's not clear!

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

I have changed the date and it looks better indeed. "But it shows on my Y axis all the days.

How can I do one (or ideally for my knowledge, the two) following things :

- Bold only the dates where there is a value

- Show only the dates where there is a value

Hello @Anonymous 

Could you please send a screen capture of your visual? Just to check the "But it shows on my Y axis all the days" part.

Normally Power BI will only show data when you have values. So in your case, if you have 2 dates, it will show 2 dates with corresponding values. We can change that behaviour, and say to Power bI to show items with no data, but not sure if we talk about the same thing

AnastasiaS_0-1675959203377.png

So if you could provide me an example to understand what case do you have it could be great.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, here is the screenshot @AnastasiaS  :

jmclej2_0-1676017832409.png

I have data for only the 25th of January and the 8th of February but all the days in between are displayed (it's actually every 2 days that are displayed) as you can see between my 2 yellow highlights.

I have tried selecting "Show items with no data" but it doesn't change anything on my chart.

Hello @Anonymous 

Thanks for the capture.

This is where the X axis type could "help".

If I take your example and try the 2 axis types:

AnastasiaS_0-1676278596874.png

We will have, for the "continuous", the result that you have, with details between:

AnastasiaS_1-1676278672169.png

And if we change it to "Categorical", we will obtain only dates we need: 

AnastasiaS_2-1676278698880.png

Is this what you were looking for?

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed @AnastasiaS , setting "Categorical" does the trick for the option "Show only the dates where there is a value", thank you !

Out of curiosity, is it possible to keep "Continuous" and have in bold the dates matching my data (which woiuld cover the other option I was talking about with "Bold only the dates where there is a value") ?

@Anonymous I am not sure that we can do that in this way. We could play with the conditional formatting but we wont be able to get the expected result.

If you want to keep the continuous mode, you could maybe use the stacked chart. in this case you'll only see bars for existing values and it will still keep the "blank spaces" between:

AnastasiaS_0-1676391025904.png

So it's not a continuous line as for the line chart:

AnastasiaS_1-1676391113643.png

Idk if this could be helpful.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.