Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to cross-filter other visuals by top N + others visual

I have a pie chart that shows a "top N + others" very similar to the solution as described below.  (See the Dropbox file posted by @jdbuchanan71 .)

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Pie-Chart-Top-5-Rest-named-Other/m-p/737504#M355623

The essential part of that solution is to create a dummy table that contains the distinct values of the dimension used in the "top N" (e.g., the 'Companies' table created from the 'Transacties' table) as well as an "Others" row.

I want a selection in visuals containing the "top N + others" measures to "drive" (i.e., cross-filter) all other visuals.  The problem is that the 'Companies' table is disconnected from the data model (in particular, the 'Transacties' table).  So, I need to figure out how to create a virtual relationship between the 'Companies' table and the 'Transacties' table.  In particular, the cross-filtering needs to run from the 'Companies' table to the 'Transacties' table.  (Currently, the cross-filtering works from the 'Transacties' table to the 'Companies' table, because of the virtual relationship in the "top N" measures.)

So, say that I had another pie chart that is sliced by 'Transacties'[Company], with a measure like:

2018 Total Amount =
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Transacties'[Amount])
    ,'Date'[Year] = 2018
)

What do I need to do to this measure (or some other solution) to make this pie chart filter according to the values selected in the "Top 5 + Other by Company" pie chart (since that pie chart contains 'Companies'[Company])?

I have tried the following, but it isn't correct:
2018 Total Amount =
CALCULATE(
    SUM('Transacties'[Amount])
    ,'Date'[Year] = 2018

,TREATAS(

VALUES('Companies')

,'Transacties'[Company]

)
)

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , when say top of other visuals, I assume companies are selected and based on the current filter what are the companies should be used by other visuals (Top 5 from that).

Can you share sample data and sample output in a table format?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

Actually, I can do you one better...  Below is the link to the pbix file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tocvgtmsqpwxneg/Top%205%20Other.pbix?dl=0

(Again, the above file isn't mine.  It was created by @jdbuchanan71 .)

As it currently stands, the visuals that have 'Transacties'.[Company] cross-filter the visuals that have 'Companies'.[Company].  My goal is to also have cross-filtering run in the opposite direction.  That is, not only should the cross-filtering be done this direction, but it should also cross-filter from 'Companies'.[Company] to 'Transacties'.[Company].  So, for example, the top right pie chart should cross-filter the bottom-left pie chart.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.