Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yoav20007
Helper II
Helper II

how to create calculate column in Quary Editor " if " formula?

I need to add a column with if formula in query editor

if "Alldates.qtty" column is null and the weekday column is not Friday or satardy than the value is 0 . (att pic)

if statement don't work like excel in query editor? 

Thanks 

query editor.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The issues are the parentheses around null ("null") and the precedence of or and and.

e.g. a or b or c or d and e is equivalent with a or b or c or (d and e).

Anyhow, try:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns5", "Custom", each if (not List.Contains({"Friday","Saturday"},[weekday])) and [All_Dates.qtty] = null then 0 else null)

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ccakjcrx
Resolver I
Resolver I

@yoav20007

Hey!

I don't have much experience with custom conditional columns and formulas in pbi's query editor. I searched for problems similar to yours, and found that the if statements in this area are significantly different than what is used in excel. 

The following link takes you to a solution in the pbi community I found very educational: problem/solution thread

After reviewing that info, and testing it seems you will need to add a custom column and use the following formula: 

if[weekday] = "Monday" or [weekday]="Tuesday" or [weekday]="Wednesday" or [weekday]="Thursday" or [weekday]="Sunday" and [all_dates.qtty] = "null" then "0" else "null"

I tried to research using 'not' in query editor when adding a custom column, but couldn't find anything in a reasonable amount of time.

I made the assumption that you wanted to leave the field to 'null' if all_dates.qtty is null and weekday is either Friday or Saturday.

Weekday If Then Else.jpg

Hi @CC and thanks for your time

I try to add this to my data and it doesn't work for Sunday.  i don't understand why. see pic.

do you have any idea ? 

query editor2.JPG

The issues are the parentheses around null ("null") and the precedence of or and and.

e.g. a or b or c or d and e is equivalent with a or b or c or (d and e).

Anyhow, try:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns5", "Custom", each if (not List.Contains({"Friday","Saturday"},[weekday])) and [All_Dates.qtty] = null then 0 else null)

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Hi @MarcelBeug thanks!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.