Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vitexo87
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

how to create a relationship between two tables through two fields on each side?

I have to relate two tables in power two and for that I need to use two columns of each table in anteriore versions of power bi desktop I could do it easily just by holding down the Ctrl key and select the fields to be related, however I can not do more so, how can I do?

Untitled.png

4 REPLIES 4
skasper
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

The previous replies are correct. There is no way to create a relationship based on two columns in one table. To do so, you need to create a new column, combining the values of the other two and use this for establishing the relationship.

Best - Sascha
Please always mark accepted solutions. It helps others with similar questions or problems. Thank you.

I may have confused me but at some point I could somehow make this relationship work, will create a noca concatenated column to make this key then, thank you

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vitexo87,

I agree with smoupre. I haven't seen this option to create the relationship before either. Usually we need to create a new combination key in this scenario as smoupre mentioned above.Smiley Happy

Regards

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you sure that you are not thinking about the Merge dialog in Power Query, which allows you to do this? I'm not aware that ever existed for building relationships. Generally, I just use a CONCATENATE for my two fields in my tables and then relate them on those new fields.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.