Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to count distinct values in a column

HI I have a column with 2 different text values in, and i need to create a measure that can make a distinct count of these 2 values I have see the following https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/CALCULATE-count-of-several-text-values/m-p/33878/highlight/... But this is counting all the rows. I have tried to change it a bit, but no success
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

solved with the following

CountItem = CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT (TblName[itemnumber] );TblName[Status]="Open")

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

Anonymous
Not applicable

solved with the following

CountItem = CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT (TblName[itemnumber] );TblName[Status]="Open")

Hi @Anonymous ,

I used the same DAX you posted, however I received a result of one when it should've been two. What am I doing incorrectly? Here is my DAX expression:

Count Words = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Sheet1[Description]),Sheet1[Description]="Gloves")

Regards,
Gus Dahu

This work with me In measure (correct value) but On column, it gives a wrong value , why ?

Framet
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

Without seeing some example data this isn't all that clear. If you have two possible text values in a column then distinct count will only return 0,1,2 depending on your filters. Is this your desired result?

It might seem a bit obvious but does DISTINCTCOUNT([Your Column Name] return what you need?

Thanks

Thomas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I came to this post looking for help finding the number of distinct values in a column and the DISTINCTCOUNT function did work for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.