Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

McJasem
Frequent Visitor

how to copy one pbix's visual structure onto another pbix?

I've made a great layout for a report with data, and i wish to have this reports visual structure to become a template for other reports with different datasets.

I've tried couple of methods but nothing without hick-ups.

In short i have a PBIX with the visual structure of a report with bagground colors, navigation/page buttons & bookmarks - without any data. I wish to import the data from another PBIX without everything else.

Imagine you would like to have a corporate look to your reports that should be standard, and you want to reuse this to different customers and their data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @McJasem ,

you can create a theme file with all of your settings. Like this you can manage what colors, fonts, background colors, etc. the current file should use. This theme file you then can export and import into your existing files:

Use report themes in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

When you want to have some specific elements in a report, like navigation, logo etc. You can just select them with ctrl + c and then paste them in an existing report with ctrl + v.

In general you can create a template file to start with new reports. This template should have all the visuals you want to use in every report like the company logo. And you should import the template file. When you then start a new report based on that template you get exactly the look you want:

Create and use report templates in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @McJasem ,

you can create a theme file with all of your settings. Like this you can manage what colors, fonts, background colors, etc. the current file should use. This theme file you then can export and import into your existing files:

Use report themes in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

When you want to have some specific elements in a report, like navigation, logo etc. You can just select them with ctrl + c and then paste them in an existing report with ctrl + v.

In general you can create a template file to start with new reports. This template should have all the visuals you want to use in every report like the company logo. And you should import the template file. When you then start a new report based on that template you get exactly the look you want:

Create and use report templates in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Hi Denis

Thanks for the tips and they are great, but i've tried them all and i'm not satisfied with the result.

I would hope there was a nother way to splice to PBIX's toghether, one having all the standard visual stuff and the other alle the background (data-wise). Because i have a lot of report (pbix) and i want to streamline the look of them all without having to undergo recreation of all PBIX or dragging and droppping.

I've looked into the manuovre of zipping the PBIT file and inserting the data-file from another PBIX with data, but it gave me a whole lot of errors in the data, but with regards to splicing a PBIT and a PBIX file together worked with regards to the visual stuff, but not the entire datamodel with its parameters and meausures without having a lot of errors in tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.