Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to clear all filters on table except filters coming from another table

I have the following data model:

Fact Annual Employee Sales Target, Dimension Week, Dimension Employee

'Fact Annual Employee Sales Target'[Employee Key]     * - 1       'Dimension Employee'[Employee Key]

'Fact Annual Employee Sales Target'[Week Key]            * - 1       'Dimension Week'[Week Key]

My fact table holds my yearly sales targets for each of my employees.  Its time resolution is week (not year, despite the table name), which I know is redundant (but is necessary for other purposes).

I have a page where a user picks an employee (via 'Dimension Member'[Employee Name]) in a filter pane (which filters down [Job Title] in the data model).  The user also picks the year (via 'Dimension Week'[Year]).

I want to calculate the average annual sales target for the selected employee's "peer set" for the selected year, where I define "peer set" as all employees with the same [Job Title].  How can I do this?

I have tried the following measure thus far:

Annual Sales Tgt - Peer Set =

VAR __table = 
ADDCOLUMNS(

SUMMARIZE(

ALLEXCEPT( //necessary because the [Employee Name] filter must be cleared

'Fact Annual Sales Target'

,'Dimension Week'[Year]

,'Dimension Employee'[Job Title]

)

)
    ,"Annual Sales Target"

,MAX('Fact Annual Employee Sales Target'[Target])    //necessary because this table is at the week (not year) resolution
)

RETURN

AVERAGEX(

__table

,[Annual Sales Target]

)

However, this measure is returning the sales target of the selected employee, not the average of the employee's peer set.  I suspect that the problem is that I'm not properly clearing the filters.  But, I don't know how to correct that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @Anonymous , 

First, as to this part of your measure,

SUMMARIZE(
        ALLEXCEPT( //necessary because the [Employee Name] filter must be cleared
            ,'Dimension Week'[Year]
            ,'Dimension Employee'[Job Title] )

ALLEXCEPT() doesn't materialize an intermediary table as expected. When used as a table function, ALLEXCEPT materializes all the unique combinations of the columns in the table specified in the first argument that are not listed in the following arguments.  In this case, the result only has the columns of the table and ignores the expanded table. You might want to refer to this article for more details, which I strongly recommend.

Secondly, I sketch a mockup accordingly to your desciprtion,

Screenshot 2020-11-14 213119.png

Then a measure is authored

Avg Target = 
VAR __titles =
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            ALLSELECTED ( 'Dimension Employee' ),
            "Title", 'Dimension Employee'[Job Title]
        )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( [Avg], ALL ( 'Dimension Employee' ), __titles )
//referenced measure: Avg = AVERAGE( 'Fact Annual Employee Sales Target'[Target] )

It seems to fit in my mockup, you might want to see more details in the attached file.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @Anonymous , 

First, as to this part of your measure,

SUMMARIZE(
        ALLEXCEPT( //necessary because the [Employee Name] filter must be cleared
            ,'Dimension Week'[Year]
            ,'Dimension Employee'[Job Title] )

ALLEXCEPT() doesn't materialize an intermediary table as expected. When used as a table function, ALLEXCEPT materializes all the unique combinations of the columns in the table specified in the first argument that are not listed in the following arguments.  In this case, the result only has the columns of the table and ignores the expanded table. You might want to refer to this article for more details, which I strongly recommend.

Secondly, I sketch a mockup accordingly to your desciprtion,

Screenshot 2020-11-14 213119.png

Then a measure is authored

Avg Target = 
VAR __titles =
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            ALLSELECTED ( 'Dimension Employee' ),
            "Title", 'Dimension Employee'[Job Title]
        )
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE ( [Avg], ALL ( 'Dimension Employee' ), __titles )
//referenced measure: Avg = AVERAGE( 'Fact Annual Employee Sales Target'[Target] )

It seems to fit in my mockup, you might want to see more details in the attached file.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.