Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rsakamuri
Regular Visitor

how to change the table or column order in data set?

We wanted to change the order of the table or column to custom order in Power BI data set? Please let me know if we have any work around for this. Thanks in Advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Column sorting in query editor is possible and easy, just drag and drop columns to desired spots.

But that sort order will not be applied to the report view. The tables are alphabetically sorted in the report view, and the table columns are sorted alphabetically too.

By renaming tables or columns (prefix with some index or alphabet), you would be able to achieve the desired sorting. But thats a workaround.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tarunsingla
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Thanks for your reply.

I am looking for Table/Column order change in data set, NOT the SORT Order in report.

I want to move the col3 to FIRST position in the table3. As well as Table4 to 1st position in the tables list.

1. Table1
  2. Table2 
  3. Table3
    1. col1
    2. col2
    3. col3
  4. Table4

Thanks in Advance.

Column sorting in query editor is possible and easy, just drag and drop columns to desired spots.

But that sort order will not be applied to the report view. The tables are alphabetically sorted in the report view, and the table columns are sorted alphabetically too.

By renaming tables or columns (prefix with some index or alphabet), you would be able to achieve the desired sorting. But thats a workaround.

Thanks Tarun. If we have any other work around other than Prefixing with some string, that will be great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.