Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mahenkj2
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

how to avoid overlapping range of scales in dual axis line chart power bi

Hi,

I have created a line chart with dual axis and zoom slider. The attribute used as the line value is filtered by a slicer for different test characteristics, and hence it can contain different range of values depending the characteristic selected in the slicer.

and so I kept the scales of both the y-axis in auto. The problem is, the charts of both the scales, sometimes overlap each other due to scales of both axis is such that. During such times, zoom slider range is such that no margin of reducing the zoom possible.

It looks like a very small thing, I am wondering if it is already take care within powerbi and I am missing? How to tackle this?

Capture.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
mahenkj2
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@yes, the range of dynamic adjustment is not enough and should be better than what it is now. That should be good enough. if thats not possible, user should have flexibity to do it by himself.

yep i dont see how you could keep it dynamic, think thats a feature that it doesn't contain, but i could be wrong, i certainly cant see it anywhere in the settings.  The slider is a fairly new feature.  You can always create an idea  https://ideas.powerbi.com/

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

you can either force a scale for each axis but putting in a start and end or turn off the secondary axis and i think its aligns it.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

mahenkj2
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@vanessafvgForcign start and end does not help. for example, my main y-axis data can be from -10 to 2000, and seconday axis data can be from 0 to 20 (three digits of decimal when close to 0). Both axis value depends what measurement characteristics we select from slicer.

SO if I set main axis start at say -10 and end at 2000, then if I need to zoom to 0.5 for a charactristic, it can be, but so tricky to get exactly the value user needs because zoom slider will be almost closed to lower value.

FOr the same reason, I can not remove secondary axis, becuase there is difference in range of scales for both measures in use for dual axis chart.

ah ok, i clearly haven't understood the problem, but its not very clear what you are asking for you can you demonstrate what you want to see as I am not quite understanding what specifically you want adjusted

mahenkj2
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@vanessafvgSorry, if I am not clear enough. Basically, blue charts are plotted as per left y axis, and red ones are secondary axis in right. U see that blue one are overlapping on red ones at some places and even a blue target dotted line is below red dotted line. Problem is simply that, does this make sense now?

In the sample photo I attached, start and end are in auto range so, it is taking 124.8-125.3 range, if I would have control, I would like to zoom with say 123-127, so that blue chart can shift upward, and thus even this would be full use of zoom slider feature. But in this case, because of auto, I have no control. I can not use start and end, becuase for this parameter currently selected by slicer have this range of data, but if user select another parameter, that might be just in the range of 0-1 values. I believe these examples can give u the problem I am facing. This is not stopping me to use the chart, but this is not the finish work in todays time when there are so good visualization capabilities possible.

hmm ok stil not sure i fully understand,

are you saying that even if a users makes a selection that you want to fix at a particular range the two zooms dynamically?

or are you saying you want to be able to adjust both sliders and can't?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.