Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rahulsingh
Helper I
Helper I

how get Grand Total on Matrix Visualization without the row totals

Hi Everyone

I am trying to get the Grand total without the row totals on a matrix visualization but i dont know how to achieve the result , when i select the row total it gives me total for every row. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Please refer to this blog :

https://www.pbiusergroup.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=e3eace80-...

I had same requirement and it worked for me , the solution in of second reply on thread. Cheers 🙂

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Rahulsingh

Select the Matrix => click the Format button (paint brush) => select On/Off

Row Totals.png

EDIT: Actually you have to convert the Matrix to a Table. We don't have a way to show only Grand Total and no Subtotals.

Then my question rises that how can i convert rows into column easily witthout using matrix visualzation.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

So what happens when you click the Table button (to the left of the Matrix button) in the Visualizations

Don't you get what you wanted?

No because the columns in Matrix visualization are the values from a column in a table

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you post a screenshot of what happens when you convert from Matrix to Table?

Row Totals Table.png

Here is the screenshot values inside the Trackingid column needs to columns and that is why i was using matrix but now i am stuck . Total.JPG

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Rahulsingh

This may not work for you - but how many JobAccount_TrackingIDs do you have?

Create that many tables => for each one Open in the Filters area and select only one at a time

Row Totals 4.png

You can also create Measures to SUM the hours for each JobTracking_ID...

003210-21010 Hours = CALCULATE(SUM(TableName[Hours]), TableName[JobAccount_TrackingID]="003210-21010")

But you'll have to create Measures for all IDs and then they'll show up as you want

Just place all Measures in the table => then each column will be a measure for the [hours] of that specifc Tracking_ID 

i have more that 300 traicking id's i dont think its going to work for me

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

The Matrix needs improvements I know... I added this idea last August...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9207006-matrix-collapse-expand-bu...

Matrix is still not close to a good old fashioned Pivot Table - where you have total contol including NO Subtotals

Row Totals 5.png

That's why I still have to use Excel for some reporting...

Hi

I have this feature On but i am also getting row total which i don't need , i just want a grand total.

Total.JPG

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Rahulsingh

Yes I realized after I posted you want Grand Total but no Subtotals - although easy in Excel we don't have this option in PBI for the Matrix.

So Convert your Matrix into a Table!

It looks like it will work in you case from the screenshot you've posted

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.