Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how can i import data from excel to powerbi without any change

Hi All,

In same colums has differnt Data like Text,Numbers,% etc.. When ever i import Data 85% becoming 0.85 .

i want to import data without any change through import option,so that i can refresh in future

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can use TEXT() function in the Excel. 

1-2.PNG1-3.PNG

When you import it at first time, you need to remove other columns with wrong format in the query editor. 
1-1.PNG

When you refresh next time, the new data will be displayed directly.

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
heryox

Hi, you have 2 solutions: or format like text Excel file or chance format in power query like %. The better way is the power query because if in a second time you change file you need to format again the Excel column. With power query he memorize the transformation and you do this only one time

If this post help you mark this like solution

Thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heryoxcan you please share some screen shots or PBIX file if Possible, I have Tried it but no luck.

Thank you.

Best Wishes,

Younis Syed

v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can use TEXT() function in the Excel. 

1-2.PNG1-3.PNG

When you import it at first time, you need to remove other columns with wrong format in the query editor. 
1-1.PNG

When you refresh next time, the new data will be displayed directly.

Best Regards,

Eads

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you plan to connect an Excel file as your datasource, I would suggest taking the time to format the columns in the Power Query Editor. Any change you make here will be documented and saved.

The next time you wish to add new data to the Excel sheet and refresh the data, you have two options:

1) Simply overwrite the saved Excel sheet with the new Excel sheet, Power BI will automatically input the new information with the same column formatting

2) You can save a new Excel file and change the data source settings of the report in Power Query Editor each time you create a new Excel file. The column formatting will still be maintained

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  

can you please share some screen shots or PBIX file if Possible, I have Tried it but no luck.

Thank you.

Best Wishes,

Younis Syed

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Zdietrich,

Please find below data which i want to load without any changes:

TargetActual
90%75%
90%NA
90%98%
95%NA
2 Days6 Days
Count331
$ Value in mn1.52
5 Days5 Days
98%100%

After Loading in Power BI it is becoming :

98% --> 0.98 ,when i changing Data type in Power Query Other than percent values giving error,

I want load data without any change through GET Data -->Excel -->Power Bi.

Thanks In advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you load data from Excel into PowerBI, it auto-formats based on its detection of the data in each column. This part of PowerBI feature. To undo that, open up Edit Queries, then cross the last step in the Query Editor -> Change Type

Step1.PNG

Step2.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

can you please share some screen shots or PBIX file if Possible, I have Tried it but no luck. Thank you. Best Wishes, Younis Syed

@Anonymous -

Try inserting single quote ' before the value(s) that Excel is treating as Percentage.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

I have huge no data like 800 rows can you please tell me any other alternative solution

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.