Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

highlight specific rows in matrix

Hi All, 

I have a table and would like to be able to highlight certain rows. I would like to be able to bold or use a background colour on the bolded items like revenue and profit (as shown below). I understand that theres not an option to highlight specific items but i am wondering if anyone has a workaround. My table looks somewhat like this: 

Revenue 

Staff cost 

Overheads 

Claims 

Gross margin 

Expenses

proceeds

Profit

Thanks all for your suggestions! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use conditional formatting but you will need to apply it to each column in your table:

image.pngimage.png

Formatting = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Column2]) = "qd" ; 1 ; IF( SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Column2]) = "2q" ; 2 ; 0 ))

Hope it helps,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

My suggest would be to create a grouping table in excel then relate it to your data then you can set up stacked rows much like I did here:

Stacked Rows Pic.JPG

They will automatically be bolded and then you can use conditional formatting by clicking the drop down arrow in the visualizations fields box as the other responders have suggested. This is what the excel looks like. The numbers relate to the office name and the office names all fall under regional jurisdictions. You can use the same concept for accounts falling under sections of a financial statement.

Stacked Rows Pic excel.JPG

If this works for you please accpet it as the solution. Got to get them badges. 😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

I did consider that but do you know if the top level can be positioned to the bottom instead?

You can put the subtotal at the bottom or the top, but the row label stays at the top of the group. I don't believe there is currently a way to change this. There are several ideas on the Power BI Ideas page for better financial statement templates and features, but currently that is "not what Power BI is intended for".

Power BI Ideas: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

If it is that important to you it may be worth checking out some of the Microsoft partners: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/partners/

I might recommend Zebra BI visuals: https://zebrabi.com/power-bi-custom-visuals/gallery/

We do not use these nor am I afiliated with them, but having seen them before they are very impressive.

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use conditional formatting but you will need to apply it to each column in your table:

image.pngimage.png

Formatting = IF(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Column2]) = "qd" ; 1 ; IF( SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Column2]) = "2q" ; 2 ; 0 ))

Hope it helps,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Hi @tex628: I have a similar situation that I tried to follow your solution, but having an issue. I posted it in:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Highlight-specific-rows-in-a-table-visual-that-meets-a-cond...

If you could respond to that, would appreciate it a lot! Thanks. 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an excellent workaround. The only issue here is that it needs to be applied to the remaining columns. 

Thanks so much! 

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

you can create a column (column1 in my example) in this table which will have value="red" for your selected columns and be blank for other.

then use the conditional formatting function (vizualization pane - values - column - conditional formatting - background):

Безымянный.png

Result will look like this

Безымянный.png

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.