Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

VicGeg
Regular Visitor

highlight and label the last data point

To illustrate the trend, I plot daily values in a column chart, by date. To avoid clutter, I don't display value labels nor axis. But I do want to show the value label for the latest data point, ideally, highlighting that column. Surprized that this is not a standard feature. Is there a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, it is not currently possible. Power BI is not yet 18 months old and there is still a lot to do. I suggest you investigate the tool tips feature. You can put any measure onto tool tips (multiple actually). You can also write a measure that returns a text value using VALUES(). something like this

=if(hasonevalue(table[column]),values(table[column]))

add this or any other measure to the tool tips, and when you hover the mouse you will see the information displayed. It's a pretty good experience. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @VicGeg,

It is not possible to do it currently as Matt mentioned above. Could you submit your requirement on Power BI Ideas and vote it up to improve Power BI and make it better?Smiley Happy

Regards

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

@VicGeg you could potentially download and use this custom visual which might be able to show what you are looking for.

http://okviz.com/sparkline/ 

I do know that it does hvae the ability to highlight, as well as display the last value.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, it is not currently possible. Power BI is not yet 18 months old and there is still a lot to do. I suggest you investigate the tool tips feature. You can put any measure onto tool tips (multiple actually). You can also write a measure that returns a text value using VALUES(). something like this

=if(hasonevalue(table[column]),values(table[column]))

add this or any other measure to the tool tips, and when you hover the mouse you will see the information displayed. It's a pretty good experience. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi Matt,

greetings from Lima, Perú.

Do you know if still not possible? thanks!

VicGeg
Regular Visitor

I am showing the value by date in a column chart to illustrate the trend (to declutter, I hide value labels and axis), but I need to display the value of the latest (let's say, yesterday's) entry. Ideally, I'd like the visualization to automatically hi-light the last column and show the value label on it.

Possible?

Thanks in advance

This looks like a duplicate post. I replied in the other post. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.