Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joglidden
Advocate III
Advocate III

hierarchy slicer troubles

Just curious if anyone else is having heirarchy slicer troubles. Sometimes it will leave tables blank, sometimes tables will not empty when something else in the slicer is selected. I've had to abandon the heirarchy slicer twice now. Going back to multiple slicers, which seem to work more consistently in desktop and the service. 

9 REPLIES 9
SteveD2
Resolver I
Resolver I

The Heirarchy Slicer customer visual stopped working in my Desktop models today (10/10/17). The error looks like this.

Heirarchy Slicer Error.png

PBI Service reports appear unaffected. I can correct the error by turning "Headers" off in the format pane and the slicer appears like this.

Heirarchy Slicer Header off.png

I've updated the visual to the latest version without any success. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ SteveD2, even I am facing the same issue today. After refresh, even it appears on the Power BI Portal.

Were you able to find a fix?

I found turning "Headers" off fixed the presentation problem.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joglidden,

I was unable to reproduce this problem. You said "Sometimes it will leave tables blank, sometimes tables will not empty when something else in the slicer is selected.", could you confirm that there always existing any matching records for each slicer option? Or did you mean the table sometimes show blank while sometimes show correct values even you select the same slicer item?

Have you tried to install the latest vesion of hierarchy slicer and desktop to see whether problem persist?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I confirmed that there are existing matches (or none), and the table relationships are correct. I am using direct query to an Azure SQL Server DB. 

I have upgraded the hierarchy slicer to the most recent version (excellent suggestion), and the problem persists. 

I can actually clear the table by clicking to another page and then back, but this is a poor solution. My end users will not be satisfied with this. 

I am doing this for a large, Microsoft Corporate client. Is there any way I can show this behaviour to a Microsoft Power BI expert? I cannot publish screenshots here on the Community. 

Hi @joglidden,

To dertermine whether this problem occurred to specific data, could you test whether the hierarchy slicer works as expected using a different dataset or a different data source?

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft , that's a good idea. I found that the only way to get all the visuals to refresh is to click on another report page and then back. The last selections stick in the hierarchy slicer will stick when you do this, but there is no way to refresh the tables while on the page. Until this behaviour is somehow resolved, I'm afraid that this is the only solution I've found. 

Hi @joglidden,

Does this problem occur if publishing report to service? Have you tried to update the Power BI desktop to latest version?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

rcspaiva
Helper I
Helper I

In mine it's working good!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.