Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edan

hide chart without data

Hi guys, i had some tableau background previously and was wondering if Power BI also has the ability to hide empty charts.

With the following example data set

Row_No     Col_1                  Col_2         Col_3

1                 Apple                China           34

2                 Apple                Japan           12

3                 Orange              Null

I would like to have 2 charts, PC_1 and PC_2

When i first enter the page , it should only show PC_1.

PC_1 is a pie chart  that shows the count of the number of row. So 1/3 will be orange and 2/3 will be apple.

When i click on the Apple part of the PC_1 , another Pie Chart (PC_2) should shows up and show the breakdown of Apples based on Col_2 and Counted by Col_3

When i click on the Orange part of the PC_1 next, PC_2 should disappear and PC_1  should expand to fill up the empty space lefted by PC_2.

Would this be possible in Power BI?

Thx for the help~

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This seems like Tableau trolling to me. But, the answer is yes, it is possible although this scenario has been carefully constructed to attempt to show some kind of shortcoming in Power BI. Next time, perhaps use something less obvious than the old "Apples to Oranges" comparison. How are those "10 ways Power BI falls short" coming for you? Notice you took them off your web page.

The answer to your question is two fold. One, you could use bookmarks to hide individual visuals.

Second, you could use the following visuals instead of a pie chart for your 2nd pie chart.

• table
  • matrix
  • multi-row card
  • line chart
  • area chart
  • stacked area chart
  • bubble chart
  • waterfall chart

The first pie chart is simple, just Column1 and COUNT of Column1. The second chart you put in Column2 and the following measure:

Measure = IF(ISFILTERED(ApplesOranges[Column1]),SUM(ApplesOranges[Column3]),BLANK())

Easy. Give me something harder next time.

I would be interested in how this is done in Tableau. The issue I see is that the second chart has data in it that is good, aggregated data in the context of ALL, so it is naturally going to display that data in the abscense of cross filtering so this is the way around that for Power BI but I don't know how you do that in Tableau.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This seems like Tableau trolling to me. But, the answer is yes, it is possible although this scenario has been carefully constructed to attempt to show some kind of shortcoming in Power BI. Next time, perhaps use something less obvious than the old "Apples to Oranges" comparison. How are those "10 ways Power BI falls short" coming for you? Notice you took them off your web page.

The answer to your question is two fold. One, you could use bookmarks to hide individual visuals.

Second, you could use the following visuals instead of a pie chart for your 2nd pie chart.

• table
  • matrix
  • multi-row card
  • line chart
  • area chart
  • stacked area chart
  • bubble chart
  • waterfall chart

The first pie chart is simple, just Column1 and COUNT of Column1. The second chart you put in Column2 and the following measure:

Measure = IF(ISFILTERED(ApplesOranges[Column1]),SUM(ApplesOranges[Column3]),BLANK())

Easy. Give me something harder next time.

I would be interested in how this is done in Tableau. The issue I see is that the second chart has data in it that is good, aggregated data in the context of ALL, so it is naturally going to display that data in the abscense of cross filtering so this is the way around that for Power BI but I don't know how you do that in Tableau.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.