Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrothschild
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

help with unflattened data

I'm new to BI and I've really twisted my head in knots here.  To try to implement best practices, I'm moving from a flattened data table (from Excel) to unflatten my data to make it more efficient and theoretically ease future programming.  

This measure from my flattened data produces desired results:

CALCULATE(
    SUM('FlatTable'[Base]),
    ALLSELECTED('FlatTable'[Asset ID]),
Filter('FlatTable','FlatTable'[Count]>0),
FIlter('FlatTable','FlatTable'[Count]<'FlatTable'[Lease Term (months)])
)

In my unflattened data, I have Asset ID linking two tables: SummaryInput and AssetReturn.  From above, [Base] and [Count] are on the AssetReturn table, but [Count] resets at 0 for each [Asset ID] and counts up to the highest number = [Lease Term (months)] 

[Lease Term (months)] is on the SummaryInput table, but not on the AssetReturn table.  

So I'm trying to figure out the right GROUPBY, SUMMARIZE, FILTER, etc. to arrive at the result I'm trying to achieve, which is the sum of all [Base] except for 0 and the last associated period for a given [Asset ID], i.e., if the data was like below, the desired output result measure would produce 100.5 = sum (3*10 + 5*12.5 + 2*4) 

Another way to think about this is to return a value of (150 + 200 + 65), which is a conditional MAX function on [Count], but it's the MAX only associated with a given [Asset ID] as opposed to the entire column.  Or, I assume, but haven't figured out how, I could re-flatten the data within Power BI, to add a column with [Lease Term (months)] to below and then compare [Count] and [Lease Term (months] as I did originally, but I assume that just moves me away from best practices again.

Asset IDCountBase
Alpha0-100
Alpha110
Alpha210
Alpha310
Alpha4150
Bravo0-150
Bravo112.5
Bravo212.5
Bravo312.5
Bravo412.5
Bravo512.5
Bravo6200
Charlie0-50
Charlie14
Charlie24
Charlie365
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This might be a bit convoluted, but seems to work:

Measure 4 = 
VAR __table = FILTER('Table7',[Count]>0)
VAR __table1 = GROUPBY(__table,[Asset ID],"__max",MAXX(CURRENTGROUP(),[Count]),"__base",SUMX(CURRENTGROUP(),[Base]))
VAR __table2 = ADDCOLUMNS(__table1,"__baseMax",MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table7'),'Table7'[Asset ID]=EARLIER([Asset ID]) && 'Table7'[Count]=[__max]),[Base]))
VAR __table3 = ADDCOLUMNS(__table2,"__baseFinal",[__base] - [__baseMax])
RETURN
SUMX(__table3,[__baseFinal])

See Table7 of attached.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Ashish - thanks to your help on a different question I had, I was able to figure out the intended result as follows.  The RELATED function did the trick.  

Thanks

CALCULATE(
	SUM(AssetReturnTable[Base]),
    ALLSELECTED(AssetReturnTable[Base]),
    FILTER(AssetReturnTable,AssetReturnTable[Count]>0),
    FILTER(AssetReturnTable,AssetReturnTable[Count]<RELATED(SummaryInputTable[Lease Term (months)])+1),
)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am confused about what result do you want - 100.5 or 415?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Either one will do.  I can subtract the 415 from the column total to get to the same result.

Hi,

This is the measure i wrote

=Measure = SUMX(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(VALUES(Data[Count]),Data[Count],"ABCD",CALCULATE(MAX(Data[Count]),ALL(Data[Count])),"EFGH",SUM(Data[Base])),[ABCD]=Data[Count]),[EFGH])

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Ashish - thanks to your help on a different question I had, I was able to figure out the intended result as follows.  The RELATED function did the trick.  

Thanks

CALCULATE(
	SUM(AssetReturnTable[Base]),
    ALLSELECTED(AssetReturnTable[Base]),
    FILTER(AssetReturnTable,AssetReturnTable[Count]>0),
    FILTER(AssetReturnTable,AssetReturnTable[Count]<RELATED(SummaryInputTable[Lease Term (months)])+1),
)

Sorry for not replying sooner, something appears to be going on with notifications and I have not received any for the last 4 days.

I think the second solution you arrived at with the help of Ashish is a cleaner one, it's similar to the second suggestion I posted, I just did not have the correct name for one of your tables.

Thanks - but this produces 200, I need the sum of the maximum count at eachl AssetID

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, but I would have though you could do this with a calculation like the following

Measure = SUMX(
  AssetReturn,
  var _maxCnt = CALCULATE(MAX(AssetReturn[Count]), ALLEXCEPT(AssetReturn,AssetReturn[Asset ID]))
  return if( AssetReturn[Count] = _maxCnt, AssetReturn[Base])
)

Although you could probably match your original logic by using the related function to "lookup" the lease term in the SummaryInput table

Measure = SUMX(
  AssetReturn,
  var _leaseTerm = RELATED(SummaryInput[Lease Term (months)] )
  return if( AssetReturn[Count] > 0 && AssetReturn[Count] < _leaseTerm, AssetReturn[Base])
)

Thanks, but the first option you offered doesn't result in the desired output and the second throws an error that says: "The column SUmmaryInput[Lease Term. ..] either doesnt' exist or doesn't have a relaitonship to any table available in the current context."

I'm interested in the direction you're going because it seems like a much more transferrable approach than the solution that is currently working.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This might be a bit convoluted, but seems to work:

Measure 4 = 
VAR __table = FILTER('Table7',[Count]>0)
VAR __table1 = GROUPBY(__table,[Asset ID],"__max",MAXX(CURRENTGROUP(),[Count]),"__base",SUMX(CURRENTGROUP(),[Base]))
VAR __table2 = ADDCOLUMNS(__table1,"__baseMax",MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table7'),'Table7'[Asset ID]=EARLIER([Asset ID]) && 'Table7'[Count]=[__max]),[Base]))
VAR __table3 = ADDCOLUMNS(__table2,"__baseFinal",[__base] - [__baseMax])
RETURN
SUMX(__table3,[__baseFinal])

See Table7 of attached.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you.  This seems a bit brute force as well - but does work on my more complicated table. 

I'm not sure why someone suggested that unflattening my data would make programming easier - I don't think with a year's worth of dedicated effort I could have come up with your solution!  Thanks again.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.