cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

help with locations on the map

Hi All,

I am new to Power BI and trying to create my first report. In this report i added customer name. I added a map to the desktop and dragged the field to the map. How can i show their locations on the map. Please need help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Re: help with locations on the map

Hi @amybi,

Please take a look at my sample screenshot. I'm not using the Latitude and Longitude. Just the Location which is states of the USA in my sample. 

So in your scenario, you just need to put your address column into this Location field and make some tests. See which part of the address the map can recoginze.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @amybi,

Generally, there are three fields in Power BI Map visual which can help it recognize the location. Location, Latitude and Longitude. You can refer to following article to learn how to use map visual. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-map-tips-and-tricks

So if you want to show the customers' location, you need to create the relationship between customer name and above three fields. And put customer name in Legend field in Map. Something like:

5.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Highlighted

Thanks Xi Jin,

My Data doesnt have the lat and longitude. I have the customer name and address, how can i show them on the map?

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @amybi,

You can select the Map visual in Power BI and drag the customer address field into the location tab, then you can see those addresses being located on the map, like in the below picture.

Untitled.png

Highlighted

Thanks Hardik,

Will try this and update. Do i need to bring in the complete address or just the zip code and country suffice?

Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @amybi,

Please take a look at my sample screenshot. I'm not using the Latitude and Longitude. Just the Location which is states of the USA in my sample. 

So in your scenario, you just need to put your address column into this Location field and make some tests. See which part of the address the map can recoginze.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 2020 Community Highlights

May 2020 Community Highlights

It’s time for another PBI Community recap!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Top Solution Authors