Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

davidi4524
Helper III
Helper III

help with find data thru dates

hi, i have two tables

the first is "itemlist" that contain two columns:

itemnum, date of price , price

for example:

iphone - 2.6.17 - 15$

iphone - 9.6.17 - 15.5$

iphone - 10.6.17 - 19$

the second table is oredrs , that contain for example itemnum and price.

i have an order for iphone on a date that not shown on the itemlist table , for example:

date = 7.6.17

itemnum = iphone

i whant to bring column that will show the price of the iphone on this date , based on the data in itemlist table  ' its supposed to be 15$ , because the date 7.6.17 is between 2.6.17 and 9.6.17.

can be done??

thanks/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@davidi4524

You can also achieve it via DAX approach.

Make sure there's no replationships between both tables. You can create a calculated column in Order table to get the Latest Release Date from item list table.

Latest Release Date = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('itemlist'),'itemlist'[Date]<=EARLIER('Order'[Date]) && itemlist[Item]=EARLIER('Order'[Item])),itemlist[Date])

Then use LOOKUPVALUE() to get corresponding Price.

Latest Price = LOOKUPVALUE(itemlist[Price],itemlist[Date],'Order'[Latest Release Date],itemlist[Item],'Order'[Item])

44.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@davidi4524

You can also achieve it via DAX approach.

Make sure there's no replationships between both tables. You can create a calculated column in Order table to get the Latest Release Date from item list table.

Latest Release Date = MAXX(FILTER(ALL('itemlist'),'itemlist'[Date]<=EARLIER('Order'[Date]) && itemlist[Item]=EARLIER('Order'[Item])),itemlist[Date])

Then use LOOKUPVALUE() to get corresponding Price.

Latest Price = LOOKUPVALUE(itemlist[Price],itemlist[Date],'Order'[Latest Release Date],itemlist[Item],'Order'[Item])

44.PNG

Regards,

thank you very much!!!!!!

its work for me. great!

thanks.

i have some orders with a date before the first date on the itemlist table, in this situation the lookupvalue intreduse "0".

i whant him to intreduce the first price from the first date that exist in itemlist table.

please help me.

thanks.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In Power Query:

let
    Source = Orders,
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Price", (EachOrder) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(itemlist, each [itemnum] = EachOrder[itemnum] and [date of price] <= EachOrder[date]),[price = null])[price])
in
    #"Added Custom"

In case of nothing found (e.g. first price date is after order date), this will return null.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.