Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kiggsworthy
Regular Visitor

help showing when priority changed on work items in azure devops

I have what I think is a very straightforward need, but it is proving remarkably difficult to achieve in practice. I don't think there's any way to do this in azure devops directly which is why I am using PowerBI.

I need a list of items that were added to my teams backlog today that are Priority 1.  One way this can happen is very easy, I can just use a query for work that has our team's area path, create date = @ today, and Priority =1.  But the other way I cannot figure out at all. That is when an item was already in our backlog, but the priority changed from something other than 1, to 1.  

ANy help on how to do this with powebi would be great. I have the analytics view with the correct data, I just have no idea how to ask power BI to show me items whose priority change to 1 by day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Kiggsworthy Add new column like this

Is Today Priority 1 =
IF( 
( Table[CreateDate] ) = TODAY() || Table[Date] = TODAY() ) && 
Table[Priority] = 1, 
)

Add new measure to get count of todays priority

Today's Priority Count = SUM( Table[Is Today Priority 1] )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ntaylo06
Resolver II
Resolver II

The real question you need to as is if your data shows the date of priority changes. If it isn't in the data then you can't show it.

This is a great community such fast responses thank you!

So it is in the data:

2019-07-25 15_48_30-Clipboard.png

Here is an example of a work item that I want on the report I am trying to build.

It has existed for 10 days, but only today it was updated to priority 1.  So on my "Todays' P1s" report, I want this item to show. I would like a simple table report that is just a list of the work item with ID, title, who it is assigned to, etc. And I just want that list to contain

* Items that are P1 that were created today (easy)

* Items that are P1 that *changed to* P1 today (like in the above screenshot)

Thank you for your responses and hopefully someone can help me do this 🙂 

Thanks for the screenshot, but can you post it again without covering up the field names? It is hard to help when we can't see them. 

2019-07-25 15_55_08-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

haha, sorry about that

@Kiggsworthy Add new column like this

Is Today Priority 1 =
IF( 
( Table[CreateDate] ) = TODAY() || Table[Date] = TODAY() ) && 
Table[Priority] = 1, 
)

Add new measure to get count of todays priority

Today's Priority Count = SUM( Table[Is Today Priority 1] )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

and here is where I was able to figure out the first part (items that were created today w/ p1):

2019-07-25 15_56_10-Clipboard.png

so I just need to find a way to add the items that *changed* today to P1.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Kiggsworthy do you have column for update date whcih you can use to get 2nd set of count where update date = @today and priority = 1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.