Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shamsuddeenvp
Post Patron
Post Patron

hardware (CPU, RAM etc) requirements for the development and deployment

Dear,

I would like to know howmuch would be the specification for the server where we do development if it is

1. Inmemory: 

2. Direct QUery

and has got 10 million records. Is there any limit of the PBIX file that we can publish?

Since the refresh happens flush and fill how about the memory etc needed in the server where gateway installed?

Assuming we have large volumes of data (10 million)

Br,

Shams

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Shams,

I am not sure I fully understand what the server you mentioned here is.

Power BI is an Azure based service. Currently there is no need to configure the "Server". There is also a Power BI Desktop version available to allow we build reports and modify the Data model locally, more information, please start from the link below:

Power BI

For the dataset limit in Power BI service, please check the article below for details:

Manage your data capacity in Power BI

In May update, Power BI service dataset limit increase to 1 GB.

For recent update of Power BI, please check:

What's new in Power BI Service

For limitations regarding direct query in Power BI Desktop, see:

Direct Query in Power BI desktop

For Power BI On-premises data gateway install requirements, please check:

On-premises data gateway

Recommended:

• 8 Core CPU
  • 8 GB Memory
  • 64-bit version of Windows 2012 R2 (or later)

Please post back if you have any further questions, and notify me if I have any misunderstandings.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Shams,

I am not sure I fully understand what the server you mentioned here is.

Power BI is an Azure based service. Currently there is no need to configure the "Server". There is also a Power BI Desktop version available to allow we build reports and modify the Data model locally, more information, please start from the link below:

Power BI

For the dataset limit in Power BI service, please check the article below for details:

Manage your data capacity in Power BI

In May update, Power BI service dataset limit increase to 1 GB.

For recent update of Power BI, please check:

What's new in Power BI Service

For limitations regarding direct query in Power BI Desktop, see:

Direct Query in Power BI desktop

For Power BI On-premises data gateway install requirements, please check:

On-premises data gateway

Recommended:

• 8 Core CPU
  • 8 GB Memory
  • 64-bit version of Windows 2012 R2 (or later)

Please post back if you have any further questions, and notify me if I have any misunderstandings.

Regards

Thanks @v-micsh-msft reply i details.

My query is that if we use inmemory, while doing development with Power BI Desktop, all the data will have to load to Power BI desktop for development as well as to publish powerbi.com. If the data which are imported to power BI desktop is huge, then what should be the memory for the server?

Also refreshing the datasets in the sevice happens via gateway, and happens in flush and fill methode not incremental. So the server where gateway is installed needs good configurations?

Br,

Shams

Hi Shams,

If you mean the server memory which have Power BI desktop imported with huge data, well I could only tell that it depends on the data size. Currenlty there is no such data limitation under Power BI desktop, it will hold the data large as the physical memory could handle with. But if you owuld like to publish it to Power BI service, there should be limitations regarding dataset, which I shared in my first post.

To your second question, yes. If the data refreshes very often ,it would require the Server a good configuration.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.