Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

group by total in the same row in Power Query

Hello friends,

I have a table with three columns:

Employee, Project, Hours

showing hours spent by employees on different projects

I would like to add a column of TotalHours, summarizing total hours spent on all the projects for each employee.

I need this to calculate the percentage for each row.

Currently I am creating a new query grouped by empoyee with Sum of Hours and then Merge this query back into the detailed query.

It works fine but maybe there is a trick to do this without creating a separate query?

Thank you

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can embed your grouping in the main query:

let
    Source = HoursSpentTable,
    Grouped = Table.Group(Source, {"Employee"}, {{"TotalHours", each List.Sum([Hours]), type number}}),
    Merged = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Employee"},Grouped,{"Employee"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expanded = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merged, "NewColumn", {"TotalHours"}, {"TotalHours"})
in
    Expanded

Alternative:

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "TotalHours", (This) => List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(Source,each [Employee] = This[Employee])[Hours]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

The alternative looks nicer, but it might well be that the first solution is faster, which would only be relevant for a rather large dataset.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello friends,

I have a table with three columns:

Employee, Project, Hours

showing hours spent by employees on different projects

I would like to add a column of TotalHours, summarizing total hours spent on all the projects for each employee.

I need this to calculate the percentage for each row.

Currently I am creating a new query grouped by empoyee with Sum of Hours and then Merge this query back into the detailed query.

It works fine but maybe there is a trick to do this without creating a separate query?

Thank you

Michael

@Anonymous

You may not have to calculate the precentage in advance. Try to use a Matrix visual as below.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Eric, that's a nice option of a Matrix visual.
Nevertheless I am looking for Power Query solution
I will use this calculation for further Power Query calculations and manipulations so DAX/visual level solutions do not apply.
Thanks
Michael

You can embed your grouping in the main query:

let
    Grouped = Table.Group(Source, {"Employee"}, {{"TotalHours", each List.Sum([Hours]), type number}}),
    Merged = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Employee"},Grouped,{"Employee"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expanded = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merged, "NewColumn", {"TotalHours"}, {"TotalHours"})
in
    Expanded

Alternative:

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "TotalHours", (This) => List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(Source,each [Employee] = This[Employee])[Hours]))
in
    #"Added Custom"

The alternative looks nicer, but it might well be that the first solution is faster, which would only be relevant for a rather large dataset.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MarcelBeug 

Would you care to elaborate how this embedding into main query works to a Power Query novice ?

I have an existing DataLoad stage and then referenced that stage as the source in a modelling query, where I basically want to perform the same exercise as the original problem in this post?

From testing I can't seem to figure out how to apply the "embed" the code into the existing query.

If you share the (relevant part of the) code from your efforts so far, I can probably point you to the required adjustments.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, thanks @MarcelBeug!

I thought you can only Merge/Join different Queries, not "steps/tables" inside one Query.

I only had a "feeling" it is possible....

Would you recommend some source with more advanced tricks like this for me to learn from?

Thanks a lot!

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.