Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ddtblar
Helper I
Helper I

grand total in matrix table show 1E+15

hi guys, need help,

when i try to create matrix table, the grandtotal is not showing the number. Its showing 1E+15. How can i fix this?

Any hints? 

any help would be great.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RahulYadav
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @ddtblar,

As per Power BI DataType documentation the Decimal Number datatype supports only 15 Digit long numbers. As the grand total is more than 15 digits it is getting converted to binary when you are changing the "Display Units" setting to "Millions". If you keep the "Display Units" as None you will see the actual number.

Number types
Power BI Desktop supports three number types:

Decimal Number – Represents a 64 bit (eight-byte) floating point number. It’s the most common number type and corresponds to numbers as you usually think of them. Although designed to handle numbers with fractional values, it also handles whole numbers. The Decimal Number type can handle negative values from -1.79E +308 through -2.23E -308, 0, and positive values from 2.23E -308 through 1.79E + 308. For example, numbers like 34, 34.01, and 34.000367063 are valid decimal numbers. The largest value that can be represented in a Decimal Number type is 15 digits long. The decimal separator can occur anywhere in the number. The Decimal Number type corresponds to how Excel stores its numbers.

2018-10-31_16-22-57.png

Thanks,

Rahul

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RahulYadav
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @ddtblar,

As per Power BI DataType documentation the Decimal Number datatype supports only 15 Digit long numbers. As the grand total is more than 15 digits it is getting converted to binary when you are changing the "Display Units" setting to "Millions". If you keep the "Display Units" as None you will see the actual number.

Number types
Power BI Desktop supports three number types:

Decimal Number – Represents a 64 bit (eight-byte) floating point number. It’s the most common number type and corresponds to numbers as you usually think of them. Although designed to handle numbers with fractional values, it also handles whole numbers. The Decimal Number type can handle negative values from -1.79E +308 through -2.23E -308, 0, and positive values from 2.23E -308 through 1.79E + 308. For example, numbers like 34, 34.01, and 34.000367063 are valid decimal numbers. The largest value that can be represented in a Decimal Number type is 15 digits long. The decimal separator can occur anywhere in the number. The Decimal Number type corresponds to how Excel stores its numbers.

2018-10-31_16-22-57.png

Thanks,

Rahul

Thanks for your explanation Rahul,

After i changed the format type to currency, the grand total shows the number again, even with the display units is set to million.

thanks,

ddtblar

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello ddtblar, 

Can you show a picture of your data or matrix ? 

So we can provide a solution ?

so this is screenshot of the matrix table

grand total error.PNG

the grand total not showing the number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Again, 

I am not entirely sure on the units you are using. Can you please share your PBIX file with me or your sample data so i can recreate the issue ? Thanks 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.