Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lizrowden
Helper I
Helper I

general question about transformations in Direct Query mode

I am struggling to achieve the results I would like in direct query mode and continue to run into messages "This query contains transformations that cannot be used for a live connection" and "This step results in a query that is not supported in DirectQuery mode" with everything I do.  I need some advice on where to perform what functions and I would prefer to do it all in Power BI and not in the underlying SQL server query.

Data is as follows:

Customer Type

Business Unit

Call#

Equipment #

Trip#

Scheduled Date/Time

Arrive Date/Tim

Complete Date/Time

Trip Status

SERVICE

AAA

S101-A

1/11/17 8AM

1/11/17 8AM

1/11/17 11AM

COMPLETE

SERVICE

AAA

S101-A

WAITING FOR PARTS

SERVICE

AAA

S101-B

1/13/17 9AM

1/11/17 11AM

1/11/17 11:30AM

COMPLETE

SERVICE

BBB

S102

1/12/17 9AM

1/12/17 9AM

ARRIVED

SERVICE

CCC

S103

1/25/17 8AM

SCHEDULED

RETAIL

AAA

S104

1/20/17 8AM

SCHEDULED

Goal #1 – Add a filter to only show SERVICE

Whenever I try to add a filter to any field, I get the message “This step results in a query that is not supported in DirectQuery mode”. Why can’t I filter my query on any field?

Goal #2 - Create a new field that will be used to retrieve counts, sums, etc. This will be the combination of Customer Type & Business Unit. In SQL I can use a CASE statement. In Excel, I could use an IF or a VLOOKUP statement in a new column. For example…

Customer Type

Business Unit

NEW COLUMN

SERVICE

AAA

SERVICE-WEST

SERVICE

BBB

SERVICE-WEST

SERVICE

CCC

SERVICE-NORTH

RETAIL

AAA

RETAIL-WEST

I have tried to accomplish this by adding a Custom Column into the query using an IF statement and it says No syntax error detected in the Window, but after I close out I get a message that “Expression.Error: The name 'IF' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly.”. Have also tried IIF. I was able to do this successfully by adding a new column in the report fields, but I am curious what I am doing wrong in the query that it is not supported.

IIF( [CustomerCode]="SERVICE" & [Entity]="AAA","SERVICE-WEST",

[CustomerCode]="SERVICE" & [Entity]="BBB","SERVICE-WEST",

"Nothing Assigned")

Goal #3 – Remove duplicates based on specific logic

I need to have one record per call, but as you can see in my data example, I will have many records per a single call because a call can have multiple service trips against it. I need to get a count of the CALLS by STATUS based on the status of the LAST trip. In SQL query I might use the following to identify which is the Last Trip.

CASE when RANK() OVER (PARTITION BY sc.id ORDER BY isnull(st.ArrivalDateTime,99999) desc, st.id) = 1 then 1 else 0 end IsLastTrip

ZONE

STATUS

# OF CALLS

SERVICE-WEST

WAITING FOR PARTS

SERVICE-WEST

WAITING FOR SERVICE

SERVICE-NORTH

WAITING FOR SERVICE

RETAIL-WEST

WAITING FOR SERVICE

How would I determine which is the last trip in Power BI, then base my Call Counts on the status of the last trip?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lizrowden,

The issues you describe above are limitations in DirectQuery mode in Power BI Desktop. After we make changes in Query editor, we are not apply these changes to report.

For Goal #1, you can create a table visual using your fields, then create a slicer using Customer field to filter the table to only show SERVICE, or you can use visual level filter to filter your table visual.

For Goal #2, yes, you would need to create a calculated column in Report view.

For Goal #3, in “Import” mode, we can create a calculated column using RANKX() function then determine which is the last trip by evaluating if the value of the newly calculated column equals to 1, there is an example for your reference.
2.PNG

However, in “Directquery” mode, when creating a calculated column using RANKX() function, we will get error message as follows.
3.PNG

In this scenario, you would need  to input the query “RANK() OVER (PARTITION BY sc.id ORDER BY isnull(st.ArrivalDateTime,99999) desc, st.id) = 1” at the connection time, then create a calculated column named lasttrip using formula shown in the following screenshot.
5.PNG
4.PNG

Then you can base you Call Counts on the status of the last trip by creating formula like: Measure = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(tablename[callcount]), tablename [Lasttrip]=1). 

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lizrowden,

The issues you describe above are limitations in DirectQuery mode in Power BI Desktop. After we make changes in Query editor, we are not apply these changes to report.

For Goal #1, you can create a table visual using your fields, then create a slicer using Customer field to filter the table to only show SERVICE, or you can use visual level filter to filter your table visual.

For Goal #2, yes, you would need to create a calculated column in Report view.

For Goal #3, in “Import” mode, we can create a calculated column using RANKX() function then determine which is the last trip by evaluating if the value of the newly calculated column equals to 1, there is an example for your reference.
2.PNG

However, in “Directquery” mode, when creating a calculated column using RANKX() function, we will get error message as follows.
3.PNG

In this scenario, you would need  to input the query “RANK() OVER (PARTITION BY sc.id ORDER BY isnull(st.ArrivalDateTime,99999) desc, st.id) = 1” at the connection time, then create a calculated column named lasttrip using formula shown in the following screenshot.
5.PNG
4.PNG

Then you can base you Call Counts on the status of the last trip by creating formula like: Measure = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(tablename[callcount]), tablename [Lasttrip]=1). 

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.