Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kangaru
Advocate I
Advocate I

gateway

Hello, I am evaluating a 60 day version of PowerBI to see if our company would like to purchase the tool. I have created some reports on the Desktop version, which are tied to a SQL Server database. I'd like to test publishing the reports to the cloud to see if I can have my colleages login and view the data on their PCs as well as via a Mobile App. I asked our IT person to download the Gateway, which he has done. However, after downloading, it's asking for an Azure login. We don't have Azure, so not sure why it's asking for that. Please advise as soon as possible. Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @kangaru

Seems like you are still issue with this, can you tell what you see when you go to app.powerbi.com and click manage gateways, as shown below

gateway1.PNG

Also under your dataset, select your dataset, and check what are the gateway settings?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @kangaru,

When it prompts for the Azure Login, it is the same login that you use when you are logging into Power BI.

The reason is that when you sign up for Power BI, in the background it creates an Azure Active Directory (AAD) Tenant which is used for login validation.

So during the installation process of the On-Premise Gateway it prompts you for a login to Azure, which is effectively the same as your Power BI Login. So put in the same details and you should be good to go.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kangaru,

Power BI gateway will not require Azure subscription to sign in. In your scenario, please make sure the gateway installed is Power BI gateway. You can refer to this article to install on-premise data gateway or personal gateway: On-premises data gateway.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, but looks like Guavaq was correct. I was able to login to Azure with my PowerBI login, and installation was successful.

Thank you, @GilbertQ! I was able to login and complete the installation.

However, I'm now having trouble publishing from my desktop to PowerBi. 

Initially, after selecting Publish > Publish to Power BI, in the Destination selection window, it gave me a choice of "My Workgroup" and the name of a different test group I created.  I selected the test group which I created, but that did not seem to work. I got the error message:

Publishing succeeded, but the published report cannot connect to the data source because we were unable to find a gateway. Please install and configure an enterprise gateway.

So I tried again, this type choosing the group "My Workspace". This also did not work. This time, the error message was:

An error occurred while attempting to publish 'filename.pbix': The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

Let me know if you have any ideas on how to successfully publish the file.

Thanks!

-Aru

UPDATE: I was able to publish a file which has data from an Excel file imported into it. However, so far no luck doing the same, when I am using a file which is connected to a live SQL Server database.

Hey @kangaru

Seems like you are still issue with this, can you tell what you see when you go to app.powerbi.com and click manage gateways, as shown below

gateway1.PNG

Also under your dataset, select your dataset, and check what are the gateway settings?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hello, I finally got it to work, after googling a solution. I had to go to Manage Gateways within PowerBI, and had to "Add Data Source", and type in the server and credentials. Seems to be working now, thanks!

Hi @kangaru

Glad to hear it is now working.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.