Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GTPowerBIUser
Helper III
Helper III

function expects table expression for argument '2', but a string or numeric expression...

I just need some tips on what to do that would work in this situation if I can't use an if statement.

I have the below column in Power BI Desktop which is creating the error, "the function expects a table expression for argument '2', but a string or numeric expression was used." How do I get around this?

Sales = if(PS_PP[Grp Desc] = ("Comm Acctble"),0,sum(PS_PP[Sales])-sum(PS_PP[LCT]) - sum(PS_PP[LCB]) - sum(PS_PP[LCH]))
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I can't see how you would be getting that error from that expression.

What table are you creating this column in and how is that table related to the PS_PP table? You obviously cannot be creating this column in the PS_PP table as you are attempting to call SUM(PS_PP[Sales]) and that would create a circular reference error not the "expects a table expression" error.

If you try a simple if like the following does that work?

Sales = if(PS_PP[Grp Desc] = "Comm Acctble" , 0, 1)

If so that would point to this issue coming from one of the SUM calls somehow.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I can't see how you would be getting that error from that expression.

What table are you creating this column in and how is that table related to the PS_PP table? You obviously cannot be creating this column in the PS_PP table as you are attempting to call SUM(PS_PP[Sales]) and that would create a circular reference error not the "expects a table expression" error.

If you try a simple if like the following does that work?

Sales = if(PS_PP[Grp Desc] = "Comm Acctble" , 0, 1)

If so that would point to this issue coming from one of the SUM calls somehow.

This is all in one table, I don't have any other tables. Your basic function worked so I tried taking out the SUM()s, which at first didn't work. I finally just tried rewriting the whole thing minus the sums into a new column and it worked! I'm not sure why it would only work in a new column...

OK, so if this is all in one table then you most likely don't want the SUM() functions in there as that will calculate the grand total for the column, which you probably don't want repeated in every row.

I'm not sure why the first column was have this issue, but I have once or twice seen error messages get "stuck", so deleting and re-creating the column like you did is probably the simplest work around.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.