Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mal_B
Regular Visitor

formatting

How do I get numbers to format in standard accounting formats, that is to say, with brackets around negative numbers and dashes for zeros, justified at the decimal point?   In Excel we use #,###_);[red](#,###);"-   ";@ and  #,###.00_);[red](#,###.00);"-     ";@

What is the equivalent manner of getting this standard formatting in PowerBI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Mal_B,

We can’t format your columns to be same format as that(#,###_);[red](#,###);"-   ";@ and  #,###.00_);[red](#,###.00);"-     ";@) in Excel.

However, if you want to change the format of amount columns to currency format as other post, you don’t have to create additional column or measures. You can directly change the format under Modeling ribbon.

1. Click your column in Field panel, then change its format to Currency General as shown in the following screenshot.
1.png

2. Set Decimal places to 2 when you want the column to show as decimal format.
2.PNG

3. Create a table visual using your amount columns, you will be able to use continual formatting feature to set cell backgrounds.
3.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Dude,

I hope this link will give u more info.pls visit 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634206.aspx

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool ,

We can do in DAX Number Formating . Look the below image 

1.JPG

let me know if any help .

Thanks for the quick response.  I'm not clear however how I use that without creating new columns as you have done in your example.  Or do I need to duplicate up each imported column with a new formatted column?  

If my query looks like this (it's a bit simplified, but you get the idea): 

let
Source = Table.Combine({Input1, Input2, Input3}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Source,{{"Column1", "Date"}, {"Column2", "Reference"}, {"Column3", "Description"}, "Column4", "Amount1"}, {"Column5", "Amount2"}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each ([Amount2] <> null)),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Date", Order.Ascending}}),
#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows", each ([Date] <> null)),

Sorry, new to this.  I thought formatting things would be easy 😞

in
#"Filtered Rows1"

How do I amend this to get Column4 and Column5 formatted as you suggest?

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

No Need to create Calculated column , y not u go with Measure that will help u .

create new measure like this and try,

Measure 4 = FORMAT(SUM('Number Format'[Column4]),"$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00)"

like other measure to . It is in DAX .

OK Understood and thanks for that.  However the new column(s), using a measure as you have suggested, comes through as right justfied.   I need it to be decimal left justified, as you get with the Excel (#,##0.00_);(#,##0.00);"-     ";@  format and I can see an option to do that.

Then, ideally, the next bit would be to deal with putting negative numbers into red.   Again I can see ways of conditionally formating cell backgrounds but not the figures themselves and the number in the new measure column appears to being seen as text rather than a figure 

(Surprised it is so difficult to format numbers columns, when it is so easy in Excel).,

Thanks

Malcolm

Hi @Mal_B,

We can’t format your columns to be same format as that(#,###_);[red](#,###);"-   ";@ and  #,###.00_);[red](#,###.00);"-     ";@) in Excel.

However, if you want to change the format of amount columns to currency format as other post, you don’t have to create additional column or measures. You can directly change the format under Modeling ribbon.

1. Click your column in Field panel, then change its format to Currency General as shown in the following screenshot.
1.png

2. Set Decimal places to 2 when you want the column to show as decimal format.
2.PNG

3. Create a table visual using your amount columns, you will be able to use continual formatting feature to set cell backgrounds.
3.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Ya i agrre with you @Mal_B.

It bit complex compare with Excel formating.

and It was in string Data type only after format.

coloring text also not possible but we can change in Background color in Table or Matrix report.

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool, 

Now u r looking in Power Query. Which i send u that is DAX code.

There is only option u have to create new Calculated column or measure . We can't do with existing column without duplicate.

Sorry my friend.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.