Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rfway
Helper I
Helper I

format multiple columns

is there a way to format multiple columns at once?  This picture does not display the full data, but it basically contains dollar columns where I want to insert commas in each one-and ratios, where I want to add a "%" in all at the same time.  it takes a long time to do them column by column.. I tried control key, but it doesnt work.

thanks.

2016-06-04_1952.png

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Format multiple columns you need to go transform/ then highlight set of columns you wnat to change the data format(Percent, Whole number, etc.) then right click and choose Change type. Unfortunately there is no chose from here to select a decimal part but this is something eazy to do from Home tab. 

Hope it helps  

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @rfway ,

If it is in Power Query, the data type can be set for multiple columns at once. However, in Power BI, formatting multiple columns/measure is not yet possible. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

the data type can be set for multiple columns at once,  is there article which tells how to do it?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't test measures but you can sure change multiple columns at once.

Like this: 

Annotation 2020-01-09 165557.png

This is the best tip/trick I've found in AGES! This will save me so many hours!!!! Thank you!

Hero

logged in just to say: legend. thanks!

crocus
Advocate II
Advocate II

This is a pretty old thread but I will update it with an update, in case anyone needs it.

Go to the Model view in Power BI Desktop and highlight multiple fields. The "Properties" pane will come up and you can change the format of all the fields at once.

i learned a time saver skill bit. Thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I logged in here only to say thank you.  I have spent months searching and no one seems to have found this.  What a lifesaver.

gmq
Frequent Visitor

Logged in just to up vote and say thank you.

I wished more people had your initiative.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!! It works perfectly!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi rfway,

Currently, we are not able to format multiple columns at the same time in data view of Power BI Desktop, regarding to this limitation , you can vote it and add comments in the following idea.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10312620-allow-selecting-multiple...

In addition, to work around this issue, you can consider to copy the data in Excel and format these columns at once, then re-load the data into Power BI Desktop. There is a similar blog about formatting multiple columns in Excel for your reference.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been having this same issue and what I don't understand is, in my Excel source file I have my columns formatted as percentages, in the Power BI query editor, I have my columns formatted as percentages. However in the Power BI main tool, it's converted everything to decimal number format. I wouldn't have this issue if the program wasn't converting the data.

Why does it reformat in the first place from the original source file?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the exact same issue. I have dozens of columns that I want to change from whole numbers to %'s. They are formatted as % in Excel and in the query editor but not in my data view. Did you find a solution to this? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.